+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cold snap.

PrairieTapper you will be amazed what 3/16 will do. I too have an abundance of deer on my land. If possible try not to cross the trails they use, or run your line next to the trail. I have much more trouble with squirrels than deer.

I all ready love it! although this is only my second season with it. many of my spots I have been using it have less than optimal number of trees (5~9 ) and far less than great fall. but the increase in sap over buckets is still obvious even with out the longer time to heal factored in. the new location will have many more taps per run and a lot more fall for most of the trees. the setup at my moms has the surflo and 15 taps. it kicked butt! for 15 taps the new bush is remote and no power so I will buy a 12 volt one for there.
    It was cool, I stopped at a place today that I always wanted to tap but the previous owners were not very receptive. The new ones are very receptive... a little to receptive he and his wife tapped their first trees this year! so I answered several questions and made it clear they could call any time. if they do not continue they will let me tap it. but I suspect they have the bug

This is my first post here and first season tapping. Looks like everyone had a good season, thanks for the updates, I've been lurking for several weeks and finally got around to posting a comment. I'm currently at about 4 gallons of syrup, but I'm going to have to go back and refilter most of it due to sand. It's been a fun season and learned a lot, tapped about 6 silvers and 10 sugars. The silvers budded out a few weeks back and it looks like the sugars may do the same here very soon. Hoping to squeek out a few more batches on my double burner. Plan to step it up next season and build an arch in the yard of some sort, LP evap is expensive and time consuming and I have access to plenty of wood inour timber. Well, I was planning on only making a batch or two and it turned into an obsession, but wont have to worry about the family running out of syrup anytime soon, we are stocked!

Quote Originally Posted by TreeTapper2 View Post
    Looks like another season is nearing the end. Bitter sweet it is. Had our best run ever. Collected 146 gallons this morning and they are still running.

Thanks for the links prairietrapper.

How has the season been over all for everyone? This has been a record breaking year all around for us. Looks like we will triple our sap and syrup. Only increased taps by 30%. Can't wait to see what vacuum does. Might need a life preserver. Lol.
    We are finishing all our sweet from yesterdays evaporating today. We tapped the last week of Jan and our taps are slowing down. It was a good season but with all our new equipment it could have better. It took a while working out all the kinks and fine tuning everything. Overall we are happy with our 30+ gallons of syrup.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Welcome Traunik. Another Tapper in Bureau County!! Obsession is correct. This is my 5th year and I can't wait until next year and this year is not over yet. Where are you located? I tap near Tiskilwa.

It looks like another 5 or so in the canner after tonight's boiling so that gets me up to about 8 or 9 is all.. I am regretting not tapping in Jan like some of you did ! lol
    Yes Welcome Traunik!

Last boil of the season. I think I'm making chocolate syrup....it is dark and strong. Actually not bad tasting.

Is everyone else done in Illinois?
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

I am hoping to have one more boil, I am not holding my breath!

Last one for my sap will be Saturday. I am getting about 1/2 as much flow compared to about 1 week ago. Still running 2% sugar. Sure can't complain, this has been a banner year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123