+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cold snap.

I am near Tiskilwa. I have a producer in Port Byron do all my boiling. This week looks great. Send me a PM if you would like to compare notes. Marc

Prairietrapper, I hear ya on the filter press. It is definitely a growing desire.
    I did not expect much from yesterday but did end up with 50 gallons which put us over the 1000 gallon mark.
    Looks to be another two weeks to go.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

The trees came alive this week with sap, but at least around here the season is about over. I noticed just yesterday buds and even small leaves on some of my trees. So I guess they really came alive...bummer. I plan to do a final boil this weekend, and then shut the operation down for the year. Good year overall...I went from 30 to 52 taps and more than doubled my final syrup output.
    2018 - 52 Taps, Leader Half Pint, RO Bucket
    2017 - 30 Taps, Leader Half Pint
    2016 - 15 Taps, Leader Half Pint

good deal on the taps and syrup increase!
    Yeah I have been watching too. getting a decent run the last few days but it is nearly over for us.
    as an aside did you know maple is finally allowed under the cottage food laws in IL? I just checked again

Prairie, what website are you looking at regarding the cottage food law for IL? Thanks.
    2018 - 52 Taps, Leader Half Pint, RO Bucket
    2017 - 30 Taps, Leader Half Pint
    2016 - 15 Taps, Leader Half Pint

I am going to two collections today, as I had containers running over this a.m. Hope to get a few more days before season ends. Went over 2100 gal so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
    Prairie, what website are you looking at regarding the cottage food law for IL? Thanks.
    Here are two links for info
    http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cottage/what.cfm
    http://www.ilstewards.org/policy-wor...tage-food-law/
    and then I called Springfield from a link I found on the il.gov site and talked to a gal down there who confirmed that as long as you register with your county you can. the county can require the food service management lic. ( mine does) but you can get that online. they can also charge you to register but the state limited the amount they can charge you for that to 25 dollars or less the lic I have to get will cost 125. which for this state and my county is pretty cheap lol
    the other good thing. since I tap trees on my property also that lets me increase where I can sell over what it would be if I only collect on other peoples property. but you can still do farmers markets and direct
    Last edited by prairietapper; 03-15-2018 at 03:08 PM.

nice Dogpatch! mine stopped running last night and have not started back up.
    Last edited by prairietapper; 03-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Looks like another season is nearing the end. Bitter sweet it is. Had our best run ever. Collected 146 gallons this morning and they are still running.

Thanks for the links prairietrapper.

How has the season been over all for everyone? This has been a record breaking year all around for us. Looks like we will triple our sap and syrup. Only increased taps by 30%. Can't wait to see what vacuum does. Might need a life preserver. Lol.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

you are welcome!
    My season...
    This is the least amount of syrup I have ever made in a year. the last season I made any was a record 36 gallon. On a 2x4 it kept me hopping since I do it myself with out help. Although a brother will occasionally watch the evap while I sit down to eat. this year it looks like 4 1/2 gal. will be all I get. I was a little undertapped Some of the new lines did not produce as much as I expected and I did not want to have to deal with a bunch of buckets anymore. I talked to a farmer today about next year since I want to step it up. He owns ground along a river I used to tap. but I only tapped the edges before since it was to much trouble with buckets. he bought more ground since then and now owns on both sides of the river. I can go 3-16 and leave it up like the real guys do! I think I am going to run lines a lot higher than the norm. I suspect it will cost me on production over best practice. but I am hoping to avoid as much deer damage as possible. they kind of funnel down through that piece of property due to lay of the land and cover.
    I would not mind input on that idea from those who have done this a long time...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast