+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Couple questions on shurflo pumps

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lyford View Post
    Well Iím not exactly sure where the pump is going sit on the property, but itís ordered (4048) and I plan on using 3/16 line. Still not totally sure if Iíll run a mainline or a manifold either, but Iíve got time. Wanted to thank everybody for all the help so far, and Iím sure Iíll be posting more questions as I move through this process. I do have one question right now, is there a maximum number of taps Incan put on each line? Say for instance is an 800 ft line with 50 taps too much? Check that, I just reread grateful maples post saying he was tapping 80 taps on 800 ft of line, so 50 should be doable.

    50 is too many. You can probably get away with it, but 25 each on two lines would be preferable. The length should be fine.

    Best cheapest manifold I have found is a short piece of 1" pipe (I'm using blue mainline) and with a 1" barbed X 1/2 Female NPT elbow that you put a star fitting in. The syrup suppliers all have the star fittings. Easier than messing with saddles and cheaper than a manifold with brass fittings. They'll probably even cut you a 2' scrap of 1" mainline for a dollar or two.
    Second generation sap rat.

    Started taking over in 2012
    2012-2016: 300 buckets 120 on gravity tubing. Waterloo 2x10 wood fired. Averaged 105 gallons per season.
    2017: hoping for 300 on 3/16 with Shurflo and 50 buckets. New used 4x14 Algier wood fired cooker. 180 gallons of syrup

    2018: 300 on vacuum 2 buckets, finally got a splitter!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alcona County, Michigan
    Posts
    1,122

    Default

    A vacuum guage at the end of each line will tell you whether you have too many taps on the line, but that problem will only show up when the run is fierce. I had 45 taps on an 800' line and I think it would have been better to limit it to 25 or 30. But there's no real way to know that your lines are swamped other than to see zero vacuum at your far tree when you have no leaks and a high vacuum at your pump.
    CE
    44į 41′ 3″ N

    2018 -- 48 Red Maples on 3/16" natural vacuum. My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and Silver Maple
    2016 -- 55 Red Maple
    2015 -- 15 Red Maple, 6 Birch - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Princeton, MA
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Great discussion on the Shurflo pumps! On the pump control side, my unit allows the pump to continue to run as long as sap is flowing (pump still pulling good vacuum), regardless or temperature. I do have a secondary temperature shutoff which I set to 28 degrees (adjustable), but as long as sap is running and the pump is pulling vacuum, it will continue to pump sap. I usually see the lines running down to 30 degrees or maybe lower, when buckets are already forming icicles. Once sap has stopped running, whether from cold temps or trees have just quit giving sap, the pump stops and purges sap out since it isn't doing anything useful other than depleting batteries. Flow via bypass valve is allowed after that. I don't have AC power available anywhere near my pumps. There are a lot of other ways to control the pump, even just manual operation, either way it's great that there is a low cost way to coax more sap from the trees!

    Dave

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    44

    Default

    No my max is 30 on each run. They do well.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Danielsville, PA
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lyford View Post
    Well Iím not exactly sure where the pump is going sit on the property, but itís ordered (4048) and I plan on using 3/16 line. Still not totally sure if Iíll run a mainline or a manifold either, but Iíve got time. Wanted to thank everybody for all the help so far, and Iím sure Iíll be posting more questions as I move through this process. I do have one question right now, is there a maximum number of taps Incan put on each line? Say for instance is an 800 ft line with 50 taps too much? Check that, I just reread grateful maples post saying he was tapping 80 taps on 800 ft of line, so 50 should be doable.
    When I researched for mine I found you should have no more than 20-25 per line on 3/16. Thatís why I ran 2 lines. Right now I have 22 on my 1000í line and 19 on my 750í line.

    The weather has been great the last two days here with freezing temps at night. Saturday into Sunday I got 40 gallons of sap in 23 hours. Sunday into Monday I got 50 gallons in 26 hours! All crystal clear like water!
    Mick


    2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8Ē lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16Ē and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Ok, sounds like Iíll be limiting my lines to 25 taps. Do need to purchase one of those tubing tools or can I get away with using the hot water method. Those tools arenít cheap and after buying a pan the year before last and building my shack this past summer Iíd like to keep my maple expenditures to what is only absolutely necessary this year.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Birdsboro PA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lyford View Post
    Ok, sounds like I’ll be limiting my lines to 25 taps. Do need to purchase one of those tubing tools or can I get away with using the hot water method. Those tools aren’t cheap and after buying a pan the year before last and building my shack this past summer I’d like to keep my maple expenditures to what is only absolutely necessary this year.
    I took is not necessary but it makes life much easier. If you decide on a tool, I make them for $160 shipped.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

    2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

    2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

    http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lyford View Post
    Ok, sounds like Iíll be limiting my lines to 25 taps. Do need to purchase one of those tubing tools or can I get away with using the hot water method. Those tools arenít cheap and after buying a pan the year before last and building my shack this past summer Iíd like to keep my maple expenditures to what is only absolutely necessary this year.
    Pat makes a great tool. I use the one I got from him every day to fix squirrel chews (shot 6 yesterday, but there's still a lot out there). The nice thing about the two handed tool is that you can string your line up tight and then come back and install the drop lines without taking the line down. Otherwise you've got to string up the line, mark where each drop line is gonna go, then take the tension off the line and lay it on the ground to install the drops. Also, for making repairs the tool really makes life easier. You could get by with a couple of pieces of plywood with slots cut in them for the tubing and string to tension them, but I'd highly recommend the tool. Not cheap exactly, but worth it.
    Second generation sap rat.

    Started taking over in 2012
    2012-2016: 300 buckets 120 on gravity tubing. Waterloo 2x10 wood fired. Averaged 105 gallons per season.
    2017: hoping for 300 on 3/16 with Shurflo and 50 buckets. New used 4x14 Algier wood fired cooker. 180 gallons of syrup

    2018: 300 on vacuum 2 buckets, finally got a splitter!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Danielsville, PA
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psparr View Post
    I took is not necessary but it makes life much easier. If you decide on a tool, I make them for $160 shipped.
    I bought one off Pat as well. I think itís a must for 3/16. I bought the 5/16 tool from him so I can use it for my drops also. All you do then for the 3/16 is this
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwzTFFfQsVs
    Mick


    2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8Ē lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16Ē and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Danielsville, PA
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Pat makes a great tool. I use the one I got from him every day to fix squirrel chews (shot 6 yesterday, but there's still a lot out there). The nice thing about the two handed tool is that you can string your line up tight and then come back and install the drop lines without taking the line down. Otherwise you've got to string up the line, mark where each drop line is gonna go, then take the tension off the line and lay it on the ground to install the drops. Also, for making repairs the tool really makes life easier. You could get by with a couple of pieces of plywood with slots cut in them for the tubing and string to tension them, but I'd highly recommend the tool. Not cheap exactly, but worth it.
    Especially for repairs! If you have a leak you find at a T for instance, and you’re strung tree to tree like me, the tool is a must!
    Last edited by SSS2017; 03-14-2018 at 09:41 PM.
    Mick


    2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8Ē lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16Ē and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts