+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultraviolet light

I have talked to a local producer that uses a sap steady and he said that it made a huge difference in how often he had to clean his RO membranes.(for the better) If I remember correctly the sap passage is only about .100" wide, that's why there are multiple lights/sap passage chambers so the uv light can do it's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by saphead View Post
    I have talked to a local producer that uses a sap steady and he said that it made a huge difference in how often he had to clean his RO membranes.(for the better) If I remember correctly the sap passage is only about .100" wide, that's why there are multiple lights/sap passage chambers so the uv light can do it's thing.
    I would be interested in asking him a few questions about it.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by saphead View Post
    I have talked to a local producer that uses a sap steady and he said that it made a huge difference in how often he had to clean his RO membranes.(for the better)
    $3,200 will buy a LOT of RO soap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I installed a UV light on the concentration line when I had my first homemade RO which was similar to the RO bucket. I found it didn't make any noticeable difference. I'd save your money.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Just another example of a manufacturer taking advantage of people who don't know, and it simply sounds good.

Save your money seriously, you'd be better off putting a silver spoon in your tank if you're worried about microbes
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

You will not kill 100% with a water treatment unit in a single pass. If you recirculate your main holding tank sap past a UV light (no matter what velocity or chamber thickness), it will kill bacteria and yeast. Right? Will it keep up with reproduction rates?
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you recirculate through a UV unit designed for water treatment, and it is operating properly (it is clean, the bulb is good, and the flow rates aren't excessive), you will kill some of the microbes in the sap. However, you will also raise the temperature of the sap (by the pump and the UV unit), which has the negative consequence of increasing the reproduction rates of the microbes. Where you end up depends on the efficacy of the UV unit and the rise in temperature. Kind of the "two steps forward, one step back" approach at best.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

it sounds like the old adage- get it boiled! remains the best rule of thumb....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12