+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lots of trees and limbs to clean up.

Default Lots of trees and limbs to clean up.

The storm we had from last Friday thru Saturday mid afternoon caused more damage here than any other storm I've had since I started in 2003.
    Driving in to the sugarhouse, the first thing I saw was a 15" DBH red maple up-rooted and laying across one of the driveways in. My driveway is a big circle, about 3/8 mile total. That tree is still there. Then when I got to the sugarhouse a cherry about 7-8" dbh had broke off at about 14' high and as it broke the top pushed a power line going to a camper down about 2', nothing broke. That top is now gone. Then I walked back into the woods, got in just about 30' and saw limbs and trees down. I got the excavator (with a thumb) and drove that in. I first picked a 5" diameter hemlock top off a lateral. Then I drove up to the mainline, another 6" hemlock had uprooted and laid right on the mainline. That is now gone. Then a few smaller hemlock limbs and smaller tops also laid on the main, all were clamped onto from the excavator seat, lifted off and dropped out of the way. From there, I then had to drive to another road to gain access to the rest of that mainline. When I got back in there I had several more trees laying on the tubing but those were not on the main, just on the laterals. I lifted off all I could access from that side of the mainline. By then it was almost 5:00 and to get to the others I'd need to go the long way around. All but 1 lateral comes off the west side of that main and I was on the east side. Access to the west side will require bushwacking with the excavator and it has no lights. I'll do that in the morning. From the excavator seat I could see at least 4 more hemlocks laying on lateral lines, when I get there with the excavator there may be more.
    This woods has been tapped since 2003 and before this I've never had even 1/10 this much damage. That's what 2' of very heavy wet snow and a wind of 30-40 MPH can do. In all I had 2 dead limbs from maples down and the rest on the lines were all hemlocks, some up-rooted, the rest were tops that had been snapped off, or big limbs. I could have done them with a chainsaw, but the excavator is much faster. Especially getting the wood out of the way. Even on an uprooted hemlock, I just clamped on to it, lifted, swing the cab and drop it all out of the way.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I thought there would be considerable damage to lines from all the limbs and trees down. I was without power for 70 hrs, some around here are still without power. Not quite the ice storm of 91' but still a lot of clean up to do in areas. the upside is lots of firewood to be had.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

we had only a few inches of heavy snow but some good 40-60mph winds. fortunately my woods was spared. a property i was going to tap a few weeks ago (but didn't have time) suffered terrible damage. thankfully just ash trees that snapped off. but i'm glad i hadn't strung any lines. there must have been 2 dozen 12-30" ash blow-downs in a few acre parcel. One big old sugar by the road gave out and took out the power lines for the road. no crew in sight for 3 days now. waiting for them to get over there and clean it up so i can finish tapping and install the tank since it's right next to the tank location.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

+ Reply to Thread