+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump motor size

Default Pump motor size

I have been doing a lot of research on here, and plan on starting my 4x40 ro build. I'm planning on a 330 procon but can't decide what hp motor to get. I'm gonna start out with 1 membrane but want enough motor to expand in the future to run a second. My question is will a 3/4 hp motor and a 330 procon be enough to run 2 4x40 membranes? Or do you guys think I would be better off with a 1 or 2 hp motor?

Check the specs out on some of the commercially available hobby size Ro's. I don't know the pump model but my RO uses a 1hp motor on the High pressure pump pushing through 3 membranes, however mine is also running a recirculation pump. Check out the Next Gen maple ROs.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

When I purchased my 330 procon pump from a procon dealer and told him what I was doing with it he said minimum 1.5hp. I ended up going with 2 hp. Price difference was minimal and motor doesn’t have to work as hard, produces less heat and thus should last longer. I’m running 2 membranes in series with it and am very happy with its performance so far.
    Last edited by Clinkis; 03-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

You will want a 1.5 HP motor if you plan to run the pressure up over 200 psi. The number of membranes doesn't matter in sizing the motor.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I was kind of planning on getting a 2 hp motor but was wondering if it would be ok to go smaller. The extra 75 buck or so will probably be better in the long run

Hi

I use a marathon 1.5 hp 220v to run my 2 4x40 MES membranes my feed pump gets to 50psi. Runs no problem at all. I also have a SS 330 gph procon pump. 2np will obviously work fine for you

Good luck
    Darrell