+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soot on pan

Default Soot on pan

I have a smoky lake full pint that I get take small batches of near syrup off and finish on a flat stainless pan I had smoky lake make for me that covers two burners of a old propane stove. My question is I get a awful lot of soot build up on the bottom is this normal . I just put the pan on the stove grates that normally are used for pots. I’m wondering if I raised the pan a few inches if I’d get less soot. Probability lose heat though.

Thanks
    Smoky lake full pint on my leader half pint arch
    110 taps on 3/16 vacuum tubing
    Homemade RO sapinator

Soot from a propane burner means the air is not set right. There should be an adjustable air gate in the tube going into feed the burner. Adjust that until it cleans the flame up. It likely has a set screw you loosen then turn the outer metal ring, one way for more air to mix in, the other for less. With some trial and error you will find a sweet spot. I suspect the burner needs more air, but experiment to be sure.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I agrre with Maple Flats and yes there is a sweet spot for distance from pans. Just like a torch or any flame there is area where the heat is the best and if to close you cause the flame to not develop.

I also agree with maple flats. Should be no soot from a propane burner. Soot will not be from pans too close, it will be as maple flats describes, insufficient combustion air. Maple addict is also correct, hottest point of a gas flame is the tip of the inner blue cone but most stoves are designed so that the grates hold the pot bottom at the correct distance to be in this range by adjusting the propane flow so I doubt you would need to modify your pans. Exception might be if your pan entirely blocks off the top surface of the stove - the burnt gasses need somewhere to escape!
    Last edited by BCPP; 03-05-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

I’m wondering if your stove might have nozzles for natural gas rather than lp. Natural gas is a big orifice and lp a smaller one. It would cause incorrect combustion. You can swap them out pretty easily if you can still order a proper set.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread