+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Central minnnesota

Default Central minnnesota

The temps here by Motley look the best after March 14. Went through the weather mess last year and want to get a steady flow. Hopefully not outthinking myself as some buds are pretty big already.

We always used to tap right around the 15th of March. That was before global weirding set in, but this year that might be right. Certainly no point in putting out buckets when it's too cold.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I was going to wait, but couldn't hold out and put out 17 taps Thursday. Checked them this afternoon and 2 were running - got 2 gallons total. Should have waited and I know better. Now doing a small boil on the stove.... Still have another 10-15 taps to put out in about a week.

Upgraded system this year to 3/16 nat vacuum.
    Lines are run and hoping to tap end of week.
    Small backyard operation in Excelsior about 30 taps.
    I can’t stop reading forums on this web site!
    Only have a barrel stove so ended up doing small RO system for sap.
    Found a great evaporator in Wisconsin and told the wife about it and she said I have issues!
    This has been a great learning experience!

Snowing like a big dog today, expecting 10 inches, already have 6 inches at 10 a.m.. Woods had 12 inches yesterday, going to be tougher tomorrow. No trees tapped yet.

Smile Somewhat early tap

This is my 5th year of syruping. Previous years typical start of the run is March 12-18th, except last year which was crazy early on February 1st. I only tap the 2 trees in my yard in Oakdale, 7 miles east of downtown St. Paul. Still, I average about 1.5 gallons of syrup per year.

I tapped the one tree, that is more exposed and runs earlier, on Friday morning, 3/2, and it started running an hour or two later. The ground is still covered in snow, though only less than a foot by the tree, so I was unsure that it had thawed enough. But in 4 days, it has yielded 3 gallons from 2 taps, and the weather has been too cold the last day or more. This is the first time I have double tapped the tree. We now have more snow from the Monday/Tuesday storm, but warmer weather coming again Friday. Hoping this couple of cold days will re-pressurize the tree, as it has started to slow/stop after a couple of days above freezing, and hoping the taps won't dry out. Really good freeze-thaw starting Friday for at least a week. I'll probably tap the other tree on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe!apleMan View Post
    Upgraded system this year to 3/16 nat vacuum.
    Lines are run and hoping to tap end of week.
    Small backyard operation in Excelsior about 30 taps.
    I can’t stop reading forums on this web site!
    Only have a barrel stove so ended up doing small RO system for sap.
    Found a great evaporator in Wisconsin and told the wife about it and she said I have issues!
    This has been a great learning experience!
    Wannabe....We are just down the road to you on Lake Riley. We should get together this season!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I was able to get 10 gallons on 38 taps over that little warm spell. Most came out of about 6 trees...hopefully they will all start up within this next week as is seems to warm up later. Sap is all froze now!

Hey John!
    Yes just down the road near Christmas lake
    Would love to see your setup and if your in the neighborhood, stop by and check out my little operation.
    Everything is setup and running. Some trees are running and some still dry.
    Just finished prepping filters and will hopefully fire up the evaporator Starting Friday

I'll send you a private message with my phone number. I am around most the time so let's get together and share some stories. Same situation here, some are running well, others still bone dry. we collected 50 gallons so far and hope for good production so we can fire up by the weekend.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast