+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Effie, Mn 3/3/2018

Default Tapping in Effie, Mn 3/3/2018

Started tapping Saturday 3/3/2018
    Slow process as we are new to this 3/16. Got the first two runs tapped which was painfull looking like the three stuges but lots of fun. Will continue today the 4th of March.
    Initial observation on the first run was sap running building up in tube however noticed 2 5/16 drops halfway down had back pressure and filled right up. Can any one give me something I should be looking for or is it that maybe there just is not enough flow to create the vacuum yet?

First year with 3/16. With 6 runs of 25 and 200 taps on buckets (not all parties buying into 3/16) where is the faith.
    Last edited by Jukenjer; 03-04-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Date

The only place I have used tubes was first time last year where I have 2 huge producing trees next to each other. I run 4 taps into a 5 gal container. I was thinking the same as you and got impatient last year as it seemed they were vapor locking. I drilled small holes in the tops of the plastic taps. Not sure if it made any difference though. Sap ran into the bucket eventually so all was well.

Do you have 6 lines of 25 each or 6 lines with 25 total? If it's only 25 total you won't have enough sap to fill each line. We have at least 20 taps on each line and they work great. It could also be to early and the sap isn't running great.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

25 taps per line. Tapped another line yesterday and the same thing. Flowing sap half way up then nothing. Not a fast flow yet gas sap gas sap gas sap which would potentially mean no air leak. I guess before I get too hung up on it we need a good flow and do not think it is here yet.

I hope you do not have enough flow yet! We are south of Aitkin and have not started tapping.

I started tapping Saturday. I’m in Worthington. I’m about as far south as you can be and still be a Minnesotan. I putout 60 taps and about a third of we’re starting to run. We just had a blizzard for two days so I will gather tonight and see if anything ran for two days. Tomorrow more tapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished tapping. Ten lines of 3/16 ~ 225 taps and ~ 75 buckets. Temps this week look to be ideal. We are ready.

Hopeful that snow hardens up a little so I'm able to walk on top of it. 25 inches in the last 3 weeks. Tried the atv in the woods and it is tough. Lot of hills to gather on. May try tapping a few today. Motley, Mn.

75 taps in. was ruff going with hills and hard snow in AM and rotten snow in PM. Most are starting to drip but not until latter in the day. Maybe we will be boiling by the weekend. Located between Marcell and Bigfork.

Lines flowing but only at a good drip. Buckets are really doing nothing. As it is our first year of 3/16 we figured we would gauge the system off the buckets to let us know if it is working. Think temps are dipping to low at night as it takes until noon or so to thaw out. Wait for it......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast