+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Effie, Mn 3/3/2018

Still waiting patiently. Thought we would have a couple days prior to sub freezing temps through the weekend but not producing. 15 day forecast starting on the 15th looks to be the real thing this time. Get ready!!!!!

God I hope so Jukenjer!
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

Jukenjer,
    I'm still new at this- 3rd year, we still have 12" of snow on the ground with another 3" that fell this AM. I really thought the trees would start flowing this week. I was sadly mistaken. I'm a little bit south of you, near Brimson. We've had pretty decent weather this week,I really thought the sap would start flowing. Some taps I've had had out for 3 weeks due to the forecast I seen and then it changed as the days approached. When do you put out taps? I fear that I put them out too early and when the sap starts to really flow, the tree will be in it's healing process and my volume will be limited.
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

I have some small maple trees of which I pruned branches back in November when the trees were dormant. The wounds started weeping sap yesterday for the first time, 5 months after pruning, and it is a flood soaking the trunks of the trees. I am no expert but I think the healing process only occurs after most if not all of the sap run has occurred in springtime (which is ultimately how I know when to pull taps knowing the season has ended), so I do not feel there is a time limit regarding installing taps too early and having them "close up" or heal before the sap run. How would they heal during wintertime when the trees are dormant and the wood is frozen? I bet I could tap a dormant tree in November and the tap would produce sap 5 months later during the spring run.
    Been that, done there.

Billschi by no means are we experts either. Last year we tapped March 3rd and finished April 16th with the biggest runs the last three weeks. We tapped again the first weekend of March and here we are mid April with only 3 1/2 gallons in the bank. I just tapped 40 trees last Monday here at my house near Nashwauk and they are dry today. May take a couple days to get primed. I would think there is some healing going on but insignificant to the run, however I am sure the big sugar bushes watch that close as 1% decrease affects there bottom line.

Jukenjer did the trees start running for you also yesterday?
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyIrons... View Post
    I have some small maple trees of which I pruned branches back in November when the trees were dormant. The wounds started weeping sap yesterday for the first time, 5 months after pruning, and it is a flood soaking the trunks of the trees. I am no expert but I think the healing process only occurs after most if not all of the sap run has occurred in springtime (which is ultimately how I know when to pull taps knowing the season has ended), so I do not feel there is a time limit regarding installing taps too early and having them "close up" or heal before the sap run. How would they heal during wintertime when the trees are dormant and the wood is frozen? I bet I could tap a dormant tree in November and the tap would produce sap 5 months later during the spring run.
    Too many irons..
    Others may weight in but it's not necessarily the Tre healing but the bacteria plugging the holes. I've had it happen when we tap too soon, like more than six weeks before prime runs. I had tapped half my trees in February once and I finished the other half about a month later. All trees tapped in February barely ran when the rush came.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

Quote Originally Posted by MN Jake View Post
    Too many irons..
    Others may weight in but it's not necessarily the Tre healing but the bacteria plugging the holes. I've had it happen when we tap too soon, like more than six weeks before prime runs. I had tapped half my trees in February once and I finished the other half about a month later. All trees tapped in February barely ran when the rush came.
    Thanks for the explanation. Do the bacteria thrive only during above freezing winter/spring thaws or do they continue to multiply/colonize in below freezing temps? I am curious, is the bacteria that causes the problem anaerobic? Is bacteria a problem because folks are not sanitizing their taps properly or sanitizing the drill bit before drilling the next hole on the next tree? Sure seems risky to not sanitize the drill bit before drilling the next hole, especially when it is such a simple thing to do.
    Been that, done there.

Read the first part of this patent.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/CA2819730A1/en

Latitude 47.278150

Toomanyirons..
    As soon as some sap comes out of that hole aerobic bacteria have food to grow and thrive. The activity of bacteria would be very low during the cold part of the winter, which is why the trimmed spots on the trees would run during the season.
    As far as anaerobic goes I'm not sure. There may be some but if there was you would have to think trees would never survive in the first place. That's just a guess.
    Last edited by MN Jake; 04-27-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast