+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throw away sap in evaporator?

Hybrid View

Default Throw away sap in evaporator?

It's been 45 years since I last tapped and that was 350 taps with extended family all pitching in. Now I've got just 21 taps. I stockpile my sap in snowbanks until ready to boil.

Question: It's been a few days since I boiled. The sap in the evaporator is still clear. I think it's still good. Seems I remember sap getting a yellowish tinge. That was either bad sap or late in the season. I just don't remember.

Penfrydd Farm
    21 taps
    half pint

Quote Originally Posted by penfrydd View Post
    It's been 45 years since I last tapped and that was 350 taps with extended family all pitching in. Now I've got just 21 taps. I stockpile my sap in snowbanks until ready to boil.

Question: It's been a few days since I boiled. The sap in the evaporator is still clear. I think it's still good. Seems I remember sap getting a yellowish tinge. That was either bad sap or late in the season. I just don't remember.

Penfrydd Farm
    21 taps
    half pint
    It's been cold for the past few days. If it's only been a few days you're probably good. Light the evaporator and get a boil going...you'll know if it's bad. It will smell funky. I have a feeling you're fine.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I'm thinking that you are going to be fine too. Boil some of it before you dump it. Too many people on here dump cloudy and yellowish sap without even trying to boil some. It will probably make dark syrup but it will probably be the best tasting syrup of the season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I agree, as long as it was boiled before it sat in the pan for days, it should make good syrup, likely darker than it would have if finished earlier. Remember, the darker the syrup the more intense the maple flavor.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I too would save it. If it was boiled and where it had been cool out, you should be fine.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:41 AM.

I used to run a B&B and had to have a Food-Safe certification. It was always stressed that 40 - 140 degrees was the danger zone for pathogens in food.

If my sap is staying below 40 degrees, I'm thinking that may be better than repeatedly warming it up and into that danger zone.

Penfrydd Farm
    21 taps
    half-pint

Quote Originally Posted by penfrydd View Post
    I used to run a B&B and had to have a Food-Safe certification. It was always stressed that 40 - 140 degrees was the danger zone for pathogens in food.

If my sap is staying below 40 degrees, I'm thinking that may be better than repeatedly warming it up and into that danger zone.

Penfrydd Farm
    21 taps
    half-pint
    You are correct and once it has all reached a temp of over 165* all of the bacteria and mold spores are dead. So once it has cooled after that keeping it below 40* it will last for a long time before it spoils. I have kept sweet in my evaporator for up to 3 weeks when we had a cold snap after the season started. It was frozen solid for most of that period though. I have kept it for close to a week with above freezing temps during the day and little to no freeze at night with no spoilage too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I don't know that all the bacteria are dead. I grew up on a dairy farm. I'd see what they called the plate count for bacteria, before and after pasteurization. As I recall (and it was a long time ago...) the count would go from something like 13 million, down to 1 million. So there's still tons of bacteria there, just not so many.

I don't know the temp differences between a boil and a pasteurization. That may make lots of difference.

Penfrydd Farm
    21 taps
    half pint

+ Reply to Thread