+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making dark from the start

Ive also made nothing but dark this season. Not worried one bit. As long as it taste great I dont care about the color
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

thank you everyone for chiming in i don't feel like it's any thing that i'm doing wrong or can change i guess its just that kinda year

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnjake9 View Post
    i prefer dark also but im already making darker than my grade kit dark i dont usually make much light or medium but i usually make some this year i made medium on my first draw then right to dark and its getting darker. i recirculate with the ro till its ten percent usually takes 6 hrs to do this them once it coming out 10 percent out of the concentrate side into the feed tank it goes and boil it
    Recirculating into the same tank is a BIG NO-NO if you want to make light syrup. What do you have for sap storage, if you have plastic pickup tanks and plastic tanks that "only have a couple gallons in there." That is another big no-no. Cage tanks?? They need to go to the dump. Start there, keep up on the gathering, quit recirculating and the grade should get better. By recirculating that long, your also multiplying the bacteria by the millions. In addition, every pass the concentrate warms up about 4 degrees, YIKES!!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Same here in Maine usually make light the first couple of batches and this year is dark . only 4 gallons but I am glade to here that it wasn't just me .I do batch boil so I know the longer I boil the darker it gets but I have been doing this 11 years and this is the first time this dark . second batch looks like it may be lighter .
    Backyard sapper

Mason 2X4 XL with blower
    12x24 post and beam shack
    30 taps on 5-Gallon buckets
    134 taps on tubing into the shack
    15-30 gallons a year for family and friends

I know that we are discussing this via PM but thought that I would add this here for others to see. I had the same problem a few years ago and in 2013 I built a bubbler for my evaporator. I use it in both pans and haven't had a problem with dark syrup that taste like golden or amber since. In fact I haven't made any dark in at least 3 seasons.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Tapped a full month earlier than '17 got a quick 20 gl of sap but the syrup is darker and more robust this year. We had very little rain last summer and I think that the stress on the trees is the culprit.

I have made no amber this year at all. All Dark and Very Dark. Usually make some Golden, mostly Amber and some Dark. Very seldom make any Very Dark. Sugar content is mostly 1.5 to 2. Much lower then my normal so it is boiling a lot longer but it starts turning dark fast. 55 to 1 this year. My worst ever.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12