+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blowers for small wood stoves

I use the draft inducer blower from an old high efficiency gas furnace... should be able to find one for free off junk furnace. I hooked it up with a dimmer switch and you can regulate the speed of the fan with the dimmer.
    Smoky Lake Corsair 2x6
    Micro 2 RO
    400 taps on 3/16 natural vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by djmocknh View Post
    That't interesting. I am interested in what other blowers people used. (obviously CPAP is an expensive blower unless you have one that dies) :-)
    Person? Or cpap? ;-)
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

if your rig is not very big. the blower on a clothes dryer looks promising

I agree with prarietapper, blower from a clothes dryer is the way to go. This is my second year using the one I got for free from my local appliance dealer out of a used clothes dryer. We love free stuff don't we!? It's very quiet and easy to regulate. I'll post some pictures soon of my set up.

i used a bathroom exhausht fan. piped right under my barrel stove wood grating. attached it to the barrel with a furnace boot like you would bring ductwork thru the floor of your house. then went from 6"-3" and attached the fan to it. easily kicked off if it starts to over boil or it has a rheostat attached to it. some motors are not meant for a variable speed but this one made it thru its first season. it seems to work better just plugged in tho. for whatever reason they have an internal plug in for the motor to the switch so i just plug it in there if i want full speed.

I use a 12 volt fan from a car . Wired to three switches using the resistor switch for the heater blower . With a homemade adaptor into my draft opening. Using it now for six years works great had to line my door with fire brick cause it turned it bright red lol

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumb View Post
    If you put one in it has to blow air up. I put a cage fan on my leader half pint smoky/ smoky lake full pint. I just hung it on the vent door. It just blows air past the fire and doesn’t make a difference. I Have not had time but need to make a tube that the fan blows in forcing the air up at the grate/fire
    You need to block off the front and bavk of your grates. This will force the air into the fire. If you put a duct and elbow, you will create a hot spot in the firebox.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

I feed my air in (but it is high pressure) via a 4" galvanized 20 ga. piece of stove pipe from the back of the firebox. The pipe has a cap on the end which is about 6" from the feed door. In the pipe I have 3 rows of holes, 5/16" each spaced about 3" apart. One row is top center and the other 2 face towards outer edge of the grates. I have about 4.5" of the door end of the grate blocked off using a layer of half brick flat. I have no such block in the back. Being high pressure I only need to clear ash off it about every 20-25 hrs of use. If you do similar but use a squirrel cage blower you may want the holes slightly larger and may need to clear ash off daily.
    This works well for me.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

My first try at AUF. Boiling in flat pan on a stand, fire actually in ground. Got a big pile of coals that doesn't boil sap. Took a pieces of old exhaust pipe from my tractor and cut slots with 4" side grinder. Pushed that under the pile of coals. Put a vacuum cleaner back side blow duct taped to end of pipe. With only 6" sides was boiling over in 30 seconds. After I got the pile of coals burnt down and just feeding wood as needed has it boiling like crazy. Then built an arch. Then to SL pans. One thing leads to another,,,,,,,,,
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Brace yourself, it never ends!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12