+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budding early- now turning colder

Default Budding early- now turning colder

Due to a warm spell in central Ohio some of my trees have started to bud. Now its getting more normal with low down to 25 will this knock the buds off
    and produce good sap or should I pull those that have budded? And can you tell by tasting the sap if it is to late? Hate to boil to find out and dont want to add to good sap if it is bad.

Thanks in advance,
    David

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Do you mean buds are open (you see green leaf material) or that they are swelling? Or are you seeing reddish-colored buds? Swelling buds and red (flower) buds usually are not a problem.

To detect buddy off-flavor, collect a little sap, reduce by half or 3/4 by boiling, and smell and taste the boiled sap (let it cool a bit first). If it smells like buddy sap when boiling (sweatsock odor) or has a buddy flavor, then you're probably done.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Red buds, many were on the ground yesterday. No green yet.

IMG_20180227_170418077.jpg
    Look like this?
    I believe these are the flower part of" budding"

That's the flower and shouldn't be a problem, it's the bud under the flower in your picture that you have to worry about. I tap mostly red maples, have never made buddy syrup and I've been tapping them since 2001. I have made a lot of syrup from sap with flowers on the trees with no off flavors. If the trees will run again boil some of the sap down and do the taste and smell test like Dr Tim said. It seems that my season always ends before the buds pop here.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Yep red like the picture. Tested some today in the turkey fryer seems fine. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread