+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A little hope...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Posts
    39

    Default A little hope...

    Hello all, been a while since I posted here. Feel like we missed the season by tapping last week. Boiled twice on slow runs.

    Really need the forecast to come true for good weather next week.

    Good luck everyone
    -200+ taps
    - Sugar shack with wood pecker holes
    -2x6 Leader Patriot
    -4x4 Honda quad to go "rippin on"

    -"Sapping ain't easy"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    westfield ma
    Posts
    437

    Default

    you haven`t missed it all yet.... its only the beginning of march, IMO its just getting started. welcome back and i like to see others in my area posting
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hopkinton, MA
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    I hope you are right. Things have been at a dead stop for days now. The week ahead looks like perfect sugaring weather - but will it be enough to reset the trees? Driving up to the tanks on Monday afternoon will tell a lot about how this season will turn out.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Something north of 250 taps
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 125 RO
    6 hives of bees
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Savoy, MA
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Man, I had the best week that I'v ever had in 15 years making syrup last week. I'm at 2,000 ft. elevation and last week I simply could not keep up with the runs. I found myself watching the weather and hoping the Nor'easter would hit hard so that sap would stop flowing and I could catch up on boiling.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

    "Roses are red and violets are purple
    Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple
    "

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Glad some folks are doing well!! Couple of decent runs and I'll be happy.

    Think maybe we'll change things up for next year and finally graduate to tubing on gravity runs. Washing 200+ buckets is getting a little old lol
    -200+ taps
    - Sugar shack with wood pecker holes
    -2x6 Leader Patriot
    -4x4 Honda quad to go "rippin on"

    -"Sapping ain't easy"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Savoy, MA
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimitiveOperation View Post
    Glad some folks are doing well!! Couple of decent runs and I'll be happy.

    Think maybe we'll change things up for next year and finally graduate to tubing on gravity runs. Washing 200+ buckets is getting a little old lol
    Looks like the week ahead is going to be good in Feeding Hills. Here in Savoy it will be the opposite. Too cold and snowy. Good luck.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

    "Roses are red and violets are purple
    Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple
    "

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    westfield ma
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Man, I had the best week that I'v ever had in 15 years making syrup last week. I'm at 2,000 ft. elevation and last week I simply could not keep up with the runs. I found myself watching the weather and hoping the Nor'easter would hit hard so that sap would stop flowing and I could catch up on boiling.
    lol i was thinking the same most of my taps are at 625 ft +/- elevation , vac just kept it pouring in.... RO got the hardest workout yet . but ive made more syrup before march this season then any whole season of mine in the past . i just pulled out my snorkel so i will be better prepared for upcoming runs, as we will be swimming in sap before to long again lol . i had a dream a month ago telling me i should have bought that bigger ss tank for this year !!! man i should have listened better....
    Last edited by WESTMAPLES; 03-04-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: bad speller <
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Savoy, MA
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WESTMAPLES View Post
    lol i was thinking the same most of my taps are at 625 ft +/- elevation , vac just kept it pouring in.... RO got the hardest workout yet . but ive made more syrup before march this season then any whole season of mine in the past . i just pulled out my snorkel so i will be better prepared for upcoming runs, as we will be swimming in sap before to long again lol . i had a dream a month ago telling me i should have bought that bigger ss tank for this year !!! man i should have listened better....
    Glad to hear you're having a great season too. The temps. here at 2,000 ft. are going to be just around 32 to 38 all week. Sap might slow down, but I could use the break. It will give me a chance to reset, split some more spruce and fir, and get ready for the next run.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

    "Roses are red and violets are purple
    Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple
    "

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts