+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worst season thus far on the seacoast

Default Worst season thus far on the seacoast

So this season has been horrible thus far. 2 decent runs since the beginning of February. The ocean has been playing a hand in this. Getting into tapping a while ago I realized it wouldn't last, but this is crazy. Temps above freezing at night for the last week and a half, possibly dropping again in the next few days but forecast not looking good.
    Anyone else in southern maine near the coast experiencing similar situations? Might be time to sell and find a new hobby (350 taps, 2x5 drop flue evap, small ro, tanks, barrels, buckets, etc.)

I'm in SNH and having similar problems. I blame the dam trees for not producing lol. Seem to blame the trees every year but still holding on. I've got 115 in and all gravity I've collected around 100 gallons in 2 weeks now. I just bought a new evaporator this season and have fired it up once so I feel your pain. I'm hoping to go vacuum next year and solve the no sap problem.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

The season is still young. But, I agree it's been a little odd this year.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

We haven't gotten a freeze here in central NH since Thursday but with vacuum I'm still getting a little sap. The forecast looks promising though. Hang in there and good luck.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread