+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faucher Vacuum Filter

Will these be available through CDL dealers in the states? I live in Michigan and was considering buying a small filter press for my hobby operation for next year but sure like the apparent simplicity of this new concept.

No, sounds like they are distributing through their own dealers. As near as he knows, this may be the only one in the northeast, perhaps anywhere other than Quebec. I can't find anyone who has one.

For a small producer it's ideal. If you filter direct from your evaporator and add a pump, it would be excellent as well. Last weekend we had 1500 people through the sugarhouse, so we drew off and put everything in the canning rigs unfiltered. Monday we heated and filtered 30 gallons at once. We found that much more than 5 gallons required a filter change. But filter changes are quick and easy, so it was no big deal. If you draw a lot at once to filter it may not be better than a press.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Any updates on the filter?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

5 gallons is better than 1 gallon as in cone filters sometimes but still not great if a producer is making 20 gallons a day and you have to tear down 3 times to get it all through? Interesting piece of equipment.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

It's a 2 minute filter change, not much tear down to it. No matter what you filter with, if you're filtering each batch as it comes off you're changing filters anyway. No filter system can sit for hours between filtering without a fresh filter.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

If anyone is interested in one of the Faucher Vacuum Filters in the USA, contact CDL-USA in Swanton, VT. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out how to buy one and was finally put in touch with the Operations Manager there and he got me a price on the smaller unit. He told me that for now, you have to go through them because it is not an available item through the local dealer network. Price is $895 retail for 12” and $1095 for 15”. Did not get a price for the biggest one. These prices are before the spring discounts which they are offering on these.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)

I got a call from the Lancaster CDL store that my filter is in. Going to do a road trip up there and go to there open house on May 5 and pick it up.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'

built my own vac filter from a larger pot, a bulk head fitting and then strapped a flat filter to the top. i use a 6 hp vac which connects thru a reducing fernco fitting into a ball valve attached to 3/4 bulk head fitting. i pre filter going into the flat filter. i do about 3-4 gallons which is what my finishing pots hold each. after im done i will reheat to 185 and bottle. to bottle i still use my stainless coffee pot with spigot on the bottom. i do filter again with cone filter inside but it stays really clean so i think im just catching any newly formed nitre from reheat. way cheaper than buying and its the clearest ive ever made. did about 40 gallons thru it id say in total. this was my trial run.

vacuum filter 2.jpgvacuum filter.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123