+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S.W. MI. Sap is flowing as of this morning. 3-2-18

Default S.W. MI. Sap is flowing as of this morning. 3-2-18

Checked my tap's this morning and the sap is flowing great! I'm in ADA near Grand Rapids. 46 taps into buckets hoping for 60-80 gallons by the end of the day. Going to be perfect conditions Today through Sunday! So excited!! Little worried about the 20 or so taps I put in early Feb. possibly being dried up or low flow. If those early ones are no longer producing would it hurt to relocate and tap the same trees in the same season? I follow the 2" over up or down 6" rule.
    2017 First year late start 18 taps. Produced 2 gallons syrup. Hooked for life.
    2018 2nd Year early start 26 taps In Jan increased to 86 taps March. Upgraded outdoor boiler concrete block & 2 20"x30"x5" Stainless pans. Swimming in sap this March! 100% disconnected all taps 3-27-18. Syrup produced 15 gallons!
    2019 Season late to start only a week before spring break. Season total syrup 1.5 gallons. Enjoyed every drop.
    2023 2/10/23 8 taps producing 1-1.5gal/24hrs.

Default Awesome flow!

Yup, same here in Hudsonville. They started back up this morning and are going gang busters!
    Didn’t think it got cold enough over night to get it going today, but what do I know?
    I pulled a couple of my late January taps and moved them to some new trees. They were flowing before I could pull the drill out!
    Think this is gonna be the BIG week for the next 7 or so days....and I’ve already finished more syrup than last year with same number of taps! Woohoo!

Had the same thing when i drilled two trees around 10am this morning. Sap came out so fast it appeared as if it were pressurized! Can't wait to get home and collect.
    2017 First year late start 18 taps. Produced 2 gallons syrup. Hooked for life.
    2018 2nd Year early start 26 taps In Jan increased to 86 taps March. Upgraded outdoor boiler concrete block & 2 20"x30"x5" Stainless pans. Swimming in sap this March! 100% disconnected all taps 3-27-18. Syrup produced 15 gallons!
    2019 Season late to start only a week before spring break. Season total syrup 1.5 gallons. Enjoyed every drop.
    2023 2/10/23 8 taps producing 1-1.5gal/24hrs.

I put in another 70 taps this morning putting me somewhere near 220. Is flowing good since about 11AM. Somewhere over 200 gallons as of about 5:30PM and still flowing. This next 7 days or so looks like it will be fantastic and likely the bulk of my season. Going to be a fun week.

+ Reply to Thread