+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odd sugar odor?

Default Odd sugar odor?

my first season and I have as much syrup as I really want so last night I reduced my latest batch of sap to sugar after which it acquired an... ODOR. I can’t hardly describe it, slightly toasted, slightly papery (?) but the sugar tastes fine. The sap and syrup didn’t have an off odor as I reduced it and even now the pot of syrup dregs smells fine. The sap was out during some warm temps and was a bit cloudy but nothing that I would have guessed should be concerning. Any thoughts or more info i could give to clarify what’s happening?

We should handle/treat our sap the same we do milk: shelf life of 10 days if held at 35°F. Cloudy sap is an indication of bacterial growth and the boiling concentrates their activity. My guess is that if your sample was clear, you would not have had any off taste, though there are myriad other sources of "off" tastes, such as using reactive containers, containers that had contaminants, and environmental sources in the air, utensils, etc.........

To me, making sugar doesn't smell good. The odor, to me, is much different than the wonderful aroma off finishing off syrup. As long as the sugar tastes good I'd consider it (the odor) as par for the course. Ted

Make another batch of sugar from different syrup. See if you get the same results?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

As Tbear said--making sugar does not have the most pleasant odor. Much different than syrup! If you were ever around a facility that makes sugar, you might not want to eat it! You will have that "toasted" odor. If It tastes good, that is key!
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

I am glad I ran across this thread. I made sugar for the first time today and thought the smell was a little weird, but it seems to taste halfway decent. Sounds like this is fairly normal.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Maplewrks That is so true in Ft Morgan Colorado there is a sugar beet factory and 2 blocks down wind is a restaurant and last year on a trip back east my grand kids both hurled from the smell. I don't remember the sugar cane factory in Hawaii as being all that inviting either.

+ Reply to Thread