+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Filter Aid Issue???

Hey everyone who has offered help on this matter .....
    And my good friend NHMaplemaker .....

Added 3 scoops to the first pot and 1-1/2 scoops to each pot after ....
    If it felt it was getting harder to push we'd add more than the 1-1/2 scoops ...

It worked well ..... 4 gallons pushed through easy .....
    Just lots of sand ....

Below are a few pictures ....

Thank you guys for all your help ....

IMG_3519.jpgIMG_3523.jpgIMG_3524.jpgIMG_3525.jpg
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

I have Daryl's 5" filter press, an air pump, and a 6 gallon Smoky Lake water jacket canner. This combo is usually great for producing clear syrup bottled in glass. However, this last 6 gallon batch I bottled came out with a slight haze. I'm trying to figure out what happened. As usual, I heated the syrup to 195, drew off 1.5 gallons into a pot with 1.5 cups of DE. I ran it through the press, back into the big pot, then added 2 cups of DE, a little recirculation,confirmed clarity, then into the canner. Is it possible that too little DE would create a slight haze? I think I read that Daryl's press can hold 4.5 cups of DE, so maybe I should add more for a 6-gallon batch.

One thing I noticed was that there was slightly more leakage between the plates than usual, despite tightening the nuts really tight. Not sure why that happened. Is it possible that inside the press some dirty syrup could leak into the clean syrup flowing out?

Thanks for ideas.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by maple marc View Post
    I have Daryl's 5" filter press, an air pump, and a 6 gallon Smoky Lake water jacket canner. This combo is usually great for producing clear syrup bottled in glass. However, this last 6 gallon batch I bottled came out with a slight haze. I'm trying to figure out what happened. As usual, I heated the syrup to 195, drew off 1.5 gallons into a pot with 1.5 cups of DE. I ran it through the press, back into the big pot, then added 2 cups of DE, a little recirculation,confirmed clarity, then into the canner. Is it possible that too little DE would create a slight haze? I think I read that Daryl's press can hold 4.5 cups of DE, so maybe I should add more for a 6-gallon batch.

One thing I noticed was that there was slightly more leakage between the plates than usual, despite tightening the nuts really tight. Not sure why that happened. Is it possible that inside the press some dirty syrup could leak into the clean syrup flowing out?

Thanks for ideas.
    I think that will happen if you blow a paper .....
    We like this little press ......
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Boys I got to tell ya I have never heard so many variations of how people are having problems with getting clear syrup from their presses.
    Leaking between plates is normal and wont effect the quality of the syrup. Filtering right from a boiling pot of syrup wont cause cloudy syrup. Using to much DE won't cause cloudy syrup. Not using DE wont cause cloudy syrup. Reusing filters (done right) wont cause cloudy syrup. Throwing in 2 cups of beech sand into the finisher right before you filter wont cause cloudy syrup. bottling cold contaminated syrup wont cause cloudy syrup it will have mold on the top but not cloudy. Moldy syrup is moldy syrup and not the filter presses fault.

Having a hand pump filter press makes it more difficult to clean out the system before you change over to bottling. I like to run my press on the filter mode for a few minuets before I put in the drum or bottler. This will ensure that you have cleaned all the crud from the filters and hoses. Yes charging your press is very important but in reality what comes out of the other sides of the filters will be clean. I don' t believe anything that can get thru the filter papers ca be seen by the naked eye.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345