+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pine for fire wood?

Default pine for fire wood?

Is there a preferred type of wood to burn for evaporating besides lower BTU and needing to use more, or is that overthinking? (have a cinderblock arch)

I have an abundance of pine logs and would rather burn that if possible, and save the hardwoods for heating my house.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 02-28-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Yes burn the pine. It's like rocket fuel when it's dry so be prepared to fire more often and to draw off syrup sooner and more often. I use a lot of pine here and like to use it before shut down because it doesn't form coals so that the evaporator will cool down sooner.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post
    Is there a preferred type of wood to burn for evaporating besides lower BTU and needing to use more, or is that overthinking? (have a cinderblock arch)

I have an abundance of pine logs and would rather burn that if possible, and save the hardwoods for heating my house.

Thanks!!
    Just finished up 3 pages on just about this same exact question....

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...hat-kind/page3

But yes, burn that pine! It will burn hot and fast.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

^+1 burn the pine, be ready for some embers through the stack but it burns great. I'm running sawmill slab wood seasoned 1 year and its crazy hot.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

I like to mix it in throughout the boil, especially when things tend to slow down. It's a great way to reduce coals if you have any start to build up. I also like to run straight pine for the last half dozen firings of the boil so I don't end up with any coals at the end. it disappears so much faster and gets me out of the shack quick at the end of the night.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

For in an evaporator as long as it's dry any wood is good, it's not like in the house where you add wood and want it to last for hours. With all pine you might just end up fueling a minute or 2 sooner than with hardwoods, but being you should not burn it in the house, this is a good place to use it up.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Came into a bunch of cedar (ends from the building the shack) in the woodpile.
    Stuff burns great and shutting down is a bit more abrupt with less coals.
    Never wanted it to heat the house but for the evaporator it seems ideal.
    I'll be putting up a lot of cedar for next year.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

I also like to mix it in with hardwood. At the end of the day when trying to finish I'll add more pine than hardwood.
    100-110 buckets
    Leader 7.5" 3 Bank filter press (2023)
    RO Bucket RB10 (2017) upgraded to RB20 (2020)
    Homemade oil tank arch
    Homemade stainless pans
    12x16 Sugar Shack (new 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post

Thanks!!
    on a per-ton basis, pine has more btus than many hardwoods. on a per-cord basis, not so much.
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

I've always burned pine. This year I'm burning slab pine that I split to about 2 inches wide. It burns super hot but fast, so I have to reload the Firebox every 10 or 15 minutes. Luckily I got 6 cord of slabs for free so the quick firing doesn't bother me.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast