+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pine for fire wood?

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
    It should be against the law to burn sugar maple and apple.lol sucks that three of the hottest burning trees,are ones I will not cut unless damaged, Oak,apple and sugar maple. I try not to cut any tree that is beneficial to wildlife on my property, any mast, soft or hard, maple,birch. Doesn't leave a lot left but I wage war on ash trees, they are going the way of the chestnut around here anyway.
    What do you do with the sugar maple when you thin the woods? A healthy woods for maple production or for saw logs needs to be thinned. When trees are crowded they suffer, then some get chocked out and die. If you properly thin the woods routinely you have lots of sugar maple to burn, if you have many sugar maples. Those who refuse to cut a maple are hurting the potential of their woods. Among other things trees need sun light, when they get crowded they need to be thinned, open just 1 side at a time, let that fill back in, then open another side. If you have a choice remove the less ideal tree, but do not try to remove all but sugar maples. A mono-culture woods is an unhealthy woods.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    sorry that you didn't feel you learned anything. it is a very common misconception that hardwoods have more BTUs per ton than softwoods, but they do not. most resin-containing woods have higher BTU/ton values than most hardwoods. it isn't conjecture; it is verifiable fact.

osage orange is not a common northeastern species.
    But I did learn something. I had no idea that pine, per ton, had more BTU's than some hardwoods. From that data Daveg posted I see that it does outperform sugar maple, for example. Though as I surmised, it only offers a slight advantage it terms of BTU's/ton, which makes for an interesting fact, but no real value in terms of choosing pine over hardwoods for your heating needs.

Thanks for posting that info. I learned something indeed.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

We burn 99% pine. Makes good heat fast. We trickle in some hard wood but mostly pine. Good thing about pine is we get it for free.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123