+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil tank build???

Default Oil tank build???

I plan on building an oil tank evaporator for next year and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if all oil tank are created equal or are there better ones to use because of metal gauge thickness or any other good reasons to use a certain one?

With oil tank builds I would think a free tank is better than one I had to pay for. Other than that you want one that isn't dented or full of holes.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Yes, the free ones are good. Also I was happy that mine was empty and had not contained oil in a long time, made working with it easier. Too many coats of paint are annoying as well as it is more work to strip to bare metal to weld.

I suspect older tanks may have been a bit thicker gage of metal wise, but you should be pretty good with whatever you find.

Pete

I may do an oil tank evaporator this year, and would sure like to see some pics. I know some guys do them standing upright , and some on their side

This is what I came up with this year. Its not perfect but I got it to run steady at 15gph then it got warm and I had no more sap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

This is our 2x6 oil tank rig. Total length is about 7 feet, there is an addition on the back to fit the 2x2 flue pan and the base stack. Pushing 28gph on it.
    20180218_200454.jpg
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Here is my build http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ank-arch-build

This is my first season using it and so far so good. It is way more powerful than the hodgepodge of methods I used last year, but still not as efficient as I believe it can be. Love the fact that you can keep tweaking these things.

Pete

Thanks guys
    I have a basic heavy gauge SS flat pan that is 20"by 4' that I was going to use on my oil tank evaporator build oil tank is 27 in wide and my pan is only 20 I'm questioning whether I should just get a completely new pan set up for this new rig for next year otherwise I will have to adapt the 27 in width to my 20 inch pan.

Since I'm going to be taking so much time building this new evaporator I'm leaning more towards just getting completely new pan that is as wide as the evaporator to maximize surface area to get the most out of my evaporation rate for next year

My question is for these type of oil tank evaporators I'm looking at having a preheater back by the stack but I'm wondering if I should get a divided pan or even drop flue pan?

I'm hoping I can get my evaporation rate from where it was this year on my 55-gallon drum 5 gallons per hour up to around 15 gallons per hour thanks in advance for any tips

On tanks I have used there is a metal tag stating the material gage,usually 12 but sometimes 14. 12 is thicker.

Ended up getting one that I called the manufacturer on before I bought it and found out it was 12 gauge
    Thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast