+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head tank platform

Default Head tank platform

So I'm looking to make a platform for my head tank and would like to utilize the space under the platform and make a bottling room. For those who have a head tank on a second floor/platform for a head tank, what kind of construction of the floor do you have? I'd like to have a 1,000 gallon head tank so it's not going to be a chinsy build. Thank you in advance!!

How big of an evaporator do you have? How taps do you have? Do you have an RO? 1000 gallons is awfully big for a feed tank unless you are a huge setup.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I'm just finishing up my homemade boiler, it will have 456 square ft of heated surface so figure about 450 gph. This year I'm pushing for 2,000 taps, all on mechanical or natural vacuum. No RO.

We made this to support 2 230 gallon tanks. The RO will be set up under it. We can fill either tank with sap from the outside and we will be able to feed the evaporator from either tank. (once the 2nd tank arrives). 1000 gallon head tank over head...that is some serious weight up in the air!
    20180225_114101.jpg
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

I keep my big tanks down on the floor where it's cooler. I have a 100 gallon head tank that I pump to every half hour.

1000 gallons average weight of 1 gallon is 8 pounds. 8000 is a large load
    2010-1st year,30 taps on buckets ,concrete block and 4 stainless pans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    I keep my big tanks down on the floor where it's cooler. I have a 100 gallon head tank that I pump to every half hour.
    The next time around i'm going to do something like this with a float pump. I have a 275g tote up on a platform and it works, but it gets hot up in the top and bacteria can be a problem, so now i rinse the tank every other load. but it's a PITA!

as was also mentioned. 8,000 lbs up in the air... better make that bad boy with some big heavy steel and a welder that you trust with your life.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

I support a 545 gal. sunset dairy tank with 6 inch guardrail box beam . When I poured the floor I also poured a matching 2x5 by 3 feet deep block level with the floor . One set of legs sets just inside the sugar house so just the face of the tank is inside . The floor and block and tank was all done first then sugar house was built around it . Support legs are two upright , one laid across the top X braced with 2 inch pipe to the legs outside , every thing welded . Cant beat that box beam if you can put hands on some .

Thanks all for your input!! Yes, 8,000 pounds is a lot to have up high, I wont argue that point. I kind of like your idea Michael Greer, I called up the Fleet Supply yesterday where I plan on getting the tanks from and they do have smaller tanks on hand as well, one I know of is a 600 gallon tank that might be more plausible?!?!?! but mainly would like that tank to see if I can set on the back of the duely pick up and haul sap like that. I did consider taking a bunch of pallets and stacking them up high enough to plumb the head tank into my float box, about 5' high the tank will need to be just to get by this season and then maybe by next season I can get a hold of some I beams and make a heavy duty frame that will support the tank full of sap plus some.

+ Reply to Thread