+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon or vanilla infused maple syrup

What is the recommend time for the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick need to sit in a quart of syrup before you taste the vanilla or cinnamon in your syrup. Should I wait a month before tasting or it more like several months. I do not want to break the seal of my canning jar to sample to find out I should have waited little longer? On the other hand esp the cinnamon I do not want too wait too long as afraid the cinnamon will be too strong.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Depends upon the temperature of the syrup, how much of the material you use to infuse, and the volume of syrup.

The process that worked well for us was to heat the syrup in a canning rig, pumped it out the faucet and back into the canner going through a cone filter containing the infusing material (coffee beans, vanilla beans, etc.). Just let it run until you get the flavor you like. Typically you want to make it STRONGER than you think is necessary, and then dilute (with regular syrup) back to the intensity of flavor you like. This process takes only a few hours rather than waiting for months and trial and error. Plus it's hot and ready to can as soon as you find the flavor intensity you want.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Good to know. I would have never thought of doing it this way.

I hope you are having a good Holiday, and are ready for 2020 to be over with.

I was wondering, what kind of pump did you use to do this? my wife and i have made cinnamon by leaving the stick in the jars for several months, but we would love to be able to sample it before packaging to make sure that it is what we would like.

also, how did you flavor it with coffee and what method and beans did you use for the vanilla?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Depends upon the temperature of the syrup, how much of the material you use to infuse, and the volume of syrup.

The process that worked well for us was to heat the syrup in a canning rig, pumped it out the faucet and back into the canner going through a cone filter containing the infusing material (coffee beans, vanilla beans, etc.). Just let it run until you get the flavor you like. Typically you want to make it STRONGER than you think is necessary, and then dilute (with regular syrup) back to the intensity of flavor you like. This process takes only a few hours rather than waiting for months and trial and error. Plus it's hot and ready to can as soon as you find the flavor intensity you want.

Just a small electric pneumatic pump (2 gal/min) circulating syrup through a sieve or filter sock with infusion material until desired taste ingenuity achieved. We got organic vanilla, coffee or cinnamon via Amazon.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I think seeing the cinnamon stick or coffee beans in the syrup (or honey) is part of the appeal for people who want that. What are the concerns with that vs. infusing during the bottling process? Too much flavor over time? Could a half stick or quarter stick eventually impart all of its flavor and plateau?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by 1arch View Post
    Did you try out the coffee infused yet?
    Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, we have tried it and it is delicious. Over vanilla ice cream it tastes like Bailey's Irish cream. And at our last 2 showes we sold out by mid-day. We are also making cinnamon infused syrup and vanilla infused syrup.

I have tried all different methods to make these and believe that the best is to put the coffee beans or cinnamon stick or vanilla bean in the hot syrup when bottling then just let it sit for 3 months. That seams to be the majic length of time to impart the flavor.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post

Dr. Tim, what beans did you use? My wife and I are looking at doing this to our syrup this year.

Quote Originally Posted by thomashansen871 View Post
    Dr. Tim, what beans did you use? My wife and I are looking at doing this to our syrup this year.
    We used this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F563CV2...748420_TE_item , but only because we are organic-certified. Almost any high-quality vanilla beans would likely work just fine.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

What pump did you use? I was goimg to use my filter press, but I see you say hours. Do you have a link to the pump?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast