+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon or vanilla infused maple syrup

Default Cinnamon or vanilla infused maple syrup

Has anyone tried making vanilla bean or cinnamon infused maple syrup. How was it? Was it overpowering? I'm thinking of trying a dozen 12oz bottles of each with cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean.

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Sounds good I was going to try one cinnamon stick per 12oz bottle and maybe a half vanilla bean per bottle and put it in as im bottling and cap it and set aside.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I do the Cinnamon and its like crack Cocaine. I use 1 stick per quart and that was very popular so I now sell 1/2 stick per quart. Now dont even try braking them so get out the sawzal with metal blade or your band saw.

Sounds good I think I'll give it a try!

I cooked the cinnamon sticks in the syrup for about 15 minutes. I was then able to cut them with a scissors.
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

I saw some for the first time over the weekend and the cinnamon infused syrup had 2 sticks about 4" long in a 12 oz. bottle and the vanilla infused syrup had 1 stick (1/4" dia, 3" long stick kind of like the cinnamon sticks) per 12 oz. bottle. When I looked it up online, it looks like they just put the whole vanilla bean pod and all in the syrup bottle. We made some coffee infused syrup this year but haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 04-01-2019 at 05:07 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

What I do is put a stick in half gallon Mason jars and let sit for a couple months When I want to bottle I dump it into the bottler and check the flavor. It can get overpowering so I add other syrup to reduce the intensity of the cinnamon flavor to a level that a I like. I have put sticks in quarts and the flavor continues to get stronger as long as the stick is in it.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I pulled 12 qts of syrup off my evaporator into a stock pot. I then put 12 cinnamon sticks into the hot syrup and let it sit for 1 week in the refrigerator. After the week was up, I reheated the syrup to bottling temp of 190 deg and poured the syrup/cinnamon sticks into my water jacket filter/bottler. I now have 24 pints of cinnamon infused syrup that are sealed.
    I opened one about 2 weeks ago and poured some over vanilla ice cream and it was VERY GOOD!!!! However, last night i grabbed that same pint out of the refrigerator and poured some over more vanilla ice cream, but it seemed to have lost a lot of the cinnamon flavor.
    Obviously I do not have the cinnamon sticks still in the jars as they were filtered out, nor do i want to have the 'looks of a cinnamon stick soaking in my jars of syrup', but is it possible that flavor can dissipate like that??

Quote Originally Posted by minehart gap View Post
    We made some coffee infused syrup this year but haven't tried it yet.
    Did you try out the coffee infused yet?
    I'm was considering dumping some fresh ground beans into my draw if pot to marinate through a day of cooking then run it through the filter press. Will a few hours of contact offer appreciable flavor?
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast