Closed Thread

Thread: White mold

Default White mold

Are there steps you can take to lessen the amount of white mold that forms on your syrup while storing it. I seal mine in plastic container that say that it is harmless mold and natural but I would prefer to not have it on my syrup.

Can anyone educate me on this further?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The only way to not get mold is to heat the syrup to a temperature that sterilizes it and store it in a sterile container. Then when you open it refrigerate it. Now I don't mean to be condescending but those are the ways its done. Now you ask if its possible to "lesson it" that is like lesson the effects of death when you die.

It is a perishable food product and should be handled as such. If its syrup you made make sure you have made it to syrup specifications..."to density" and that takes a hydrometer to check it.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 02-26-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Welcome Begrush.

You obviously have an issue with your production and that is definitely troubling. There are several reasons why your syrup is going moldy, but likely it has to do with you pulling your syrup off the stove too soon, before it has reached the proper density.

The best way to eliminate mold completely is to store your syrup in the freezer after you've made it. It will keep indefinitely in there with no chance of spoilage. Do that until you figure out where the problem lies.

For what it's worth I store all of my syrup in the freezer. I take out a jar as I need it and it is ready to pour in about 10 minutes. Proper density syrup won't totally freeze it just looks like roofing tar when you take it out.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

As others have said, the keys are:
    1. Pack at the proper density (66.0-67.5 deg Brix) by using a hydrometer and adjusting for temperature.
    2. Pack hot (180-190 deg F) in clean, unused, sealable containers.
    3. Store unused syrup in freezer if possible, cool is 2nd best. Plastic (especially coated plastic) works well, as does glass.
    4. Once a container has been opened, store refrigerated.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Closed Thread