+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum filter press

Default Vacuum filter press

I am so tired of the filtering process.

I use a cone filter off the evaporator. Then I reheat and filter in a water jacketed flat filter for canning.

Filters always seem to clog up. I use a felt filter with several prefilters. Every time I filter a batch, I remove the top filter after it gets clogged and pour the hot, backed-up syrup into the next pre-filter. No matter how many times I've done this, I never fail to spill filtered niter into the clean syrup, burn my hands, or both.

Last night, after a full day of boiling, a pre-filter ripped during a filter change and spilled niter into the clean syrup batch.

Wasn't happy.

I know the answer is a filter press. But they are expensive.

Anybody have any experience using a vacuum filter press like the one in the video below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWZWj-CUyo

Thanks

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Total rookie here. Last year was our first year and used 2 turkey fryers for 50 taps. All went well until it came to filtering. That took all the fun out of it. This year we have 24x22 sugar shack and a 2x6 raised flue. We made a vacuum filter out of a 10 quart double steamer. We use 2 layers of polyester felt and now this is fun again. I think early in the year our syrup is fairly clean ( not much sugar sand ) but’s this seems too easy. Paid $60 for steamer. We have crystal clear syrup in minutes.

Thanks.

What did you use to create the vacuum in your double steamer filter rig?

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Ihave a hvac vacuum pump for refridgeration service that I put on an old 10 gal air compressor. I put a vacuum on the tank and then use it as a resivoir. I checked our bottles again last night and no settling just crystal clear syrup.

Sounds great! Would like to see some photos of your rig if you have any...
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

I have some pictures on my phone but am new to the Internet forum. Don’t know how to post them. I would love to share with other small producers. I searched YouTube for vacuum filtering maple syrup to get the idea. I can’t take any credit. I just used someone else’s idea.

I'm resurrecting this thread rather than starting my own. I have the same questions, maybe someone new has experience that they can comment on this rig.

I notice CDL now has what appears to be the exact same rig. At least the photos on CDL's and Bilodeau's website look the same. Anyone have any experience with them? Bilodeau's website has the 12 inch (7 gal capacity) for $888 Canadian, which is about $670 US. I do not see a price for CDL. On one hand, this can put more syrup through than a small press and will do it for less money. There are fewer parts to clean too. But I'd need to get a source of vacuum, and while I have a shop vac but feel like that is one more thing to trip over in the shack. Ideally, I'd like to be able to bottle from it too. If you can't or if it is a hassle it would be a deal breaker.

Any thoughts or experience to share?

The cdl 9" run about $450. 12" about $1000. You can bottle from it but the fitting they send will have to be necked down and can be heated from the bottom
    Last edited by fred; 01-20-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Two quick questions about the cdl vacuum press;

1) The 9" is rated at 3.6 gal. Is that how much syrup you can filter on one set of papers?

2) If you use a air conditioning vacuum pump to you need a tank for more volume,
    or just by itself?
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Theres a pretty good u tube video on these units, just search CDL on Utube and it comes up. I think that you could get more through it if you wanted just by watching the video. Check it out.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast