+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I think I have been tapping too hard!

Default I think I have been tapping too hard!

I need some help here. I think I may have been to heavy handed with tapping on my spiels. I have 5/16 health spiels for buckets and I noticed today that most are leaking. I used a regular hammer and didn't see the posts about how lightly I should be tapping them in. They are all definitely bottomed out as I thought they needed to be seated in deep. What can I do here? I have some larger plastic and metal spiels available. Should I re-drill and use those? I did 117 taps last week and am not getting much sap. Last year did the same number and barely made 3 gallons of syrup compared to 19 gallons on 63 taps in 2016. Maybe it is just the weather ( I am south of Ottawa, ON) but I am worried I am just losing all my sap down the side of the tree. Oh I drilled my holes 2" deep.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Motoman89; 02-25-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The depth isn't the problem. Do you see sap running down the below the tap. The sap has to go somewhere so its out the tap or down the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoman89 View Post
    I need some help here. I think I may have been to heavy handed with tapping on my spiels. I have 5/16 health spiels for buckets and I noticed today that most are leaking. I used a regular hammer and didn't see the posts about how lightly I should be tapping them in. They are all definitely bottomed out as I thought they needed to be seated in deep. What can I do here? I have some larger plastic and metal spiels available. Should I re-drill and use those? I did 117 taps last week and am not getting much sap. Last year did the same number and barely made 3 gallons of syrup compared to 19 gallons on 63 taps in 2016. Maybe it is just the weather ( I am south of Ottawa, ON) but I am worried I am just losing all my sap down the side of the tree. Oh I drilled my holes 2" deep.

Thanks.
    Don't worry about it. As long as they are snug they will "seal up" after a few days. As long as you haven't split he tree it will be fine. The health spikes have less taper so they are more prone to leakage.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

They are leaking below the speil. I will keep an eye on them. I don’t think I have split the tree. How would I know exactly? Hard to tell with all the bark.

Get a lighter hammer, I actually use the flat side on the jaw of a pair of 7" lineman's pliers. Then I just tap lightly and listen, when the sound changes you will hear it, that is now seated properly. Another point to realize is that as you drill you want to prevent any wobble, if the drill has any wobble, the hole is not going to be perfectly round and that can lead to leaks too..
    For this year, just let it be and get whatever you can. For next year try the lighter hammer and listen as you "lightly" tap in the spiel.
    Do not pull that tap to drill a better hole, and when the taps is pulled at the end of the season, do not plug it, the tree will close the hole without your help, from the inside out.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Motoman I know it has crossed your mind and have stayed up late at night watching TV so please don't be offended by this statement...............Do not buy the MIGHTY PUTTY

You did mention Bark is there a chance your tapping real big, old trees and you have only gone in 1" into the sap wood and are relying on the crusty old bark for your seal?

Most of my trees are quite old. Some are close to 4' across. They seemed to be leaking less today when I was collecting this evening. Got just over 100 gals and most were dripping nicely so maybe I didn't completely botch them. I will switch to a little tool for tapping. Thanks for all the replies!

The sound you hear that Dave mentioned will also be different, or not at all, when your trying to seat the tap into the thick and crusty bark Chuck mentions. I tap a lot of very mature trees too and every once in a while you have to get the flaky, ready to fall off type of bark off. Then everything is fine.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread