+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: End Feb sap hauling

Same here. The 12 new taps I put out are running well. And what I boiled yesterday turned out lighter in color than what I was getting the previous 3 to 4 boils, from the trees I tapped in January.

I had a good run this weekend and did my last boil yesterday. Ended up with about a 70 to 1 gallon ratio overall for my three boils this year. Wishing everyone the best for the rest of the season!

When I was boiling last weekend the sap was boiling like it was the end of the season but this week was totally different. The sap has been flowing nicely for me and I'm producing lighter syrup as well. The cooler weather looks to continue at least towards the end of the month but there will be one warm-up. Hopefully that is not too long. This season is shaping up like last season. There was an early start (which I skipped) and I tapped like normal in mid-February and it's looking like my season will be ending like normal at the end of March.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

It's been a good week here in the NE corner of the state. Despite the storm I've collected about 800 gallons of sap. It was flowing pretty good but I suspect that things will be frozen this weekend just as they were last year. Temps look below normal through the end of the month and we might get a warm-up but that's just too far out to tell. I think all this melting snow and temps just about right for the foreseeable future is good news. I hope everyone is having as good a season!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Most of the hundred plus trees I tapped in mid January have stopped, they really slowed after that 75+ degree day back in Feb. I got some 30 or so i just did in the past week, about 30 gal / sap a day right now, not a lot but will keep me going until the bitter end - whenever that is -

The new trees I tapped after that warm up week are running well. Feels cold outside, but when I go check my buckets, the sap is running just as it did at the beginning of the season. The sap is frozen in the morning, but by 4:00 in the afternoon, it has thawed out. I'll run out of wood if this continues, but I don't mind. There's always more wood to cut.

Hoping for one last run here next two days. Looks like it’s warming up with no overnight freeze in sight.

Emptied 15 buckets today and collected about 30 gallons of sap.

Sap was crystal clear but most trees were not running. A few were running very slowly.

My Reds on vacuum have all but stopped.

I think the end is near....

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Agreed. Last Saturday I boiled 36 gallons. This past Saturday I boiled 30 gallons. Trees are running well here. And the sap is crystal clear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234