+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Variable result in 3/16 lines

Had a thought yesterday related to clearing clogs / plugs in the lines, so i thought i'd add it here. Is there such a thing as clear plastic tees? Since that's apparently where alot of plugs occur according to recent posts on this, it might make finding clogs alot easier. I read others here saying it's guesswork, just pull one spout at a time, and you rarely see the plug in a tee but that's where you find it. That's a helpful approach, but why not make it even easier, especially since clear plastic spouts are now pretty common. The tees i used are all black or solid green. A good portion of a few of my lines seem to be running slow -- sap sitting in drop lines not moving, so i need to get going on pulling things apart.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Most likely leaks or plugs at fittings. Tapping order shouldn't matter, unless you stopped partway through tapping to drill a hole in some metal or a rock with your tapping bit.
    I've heard of tapping rock maples, but never metal maples. It's amazing what you learn on this site. http://mapletrader.com/community/images/smilies/lol.gif
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    Had a thought yesterday related to clearing clogs / plugs in the lines, so i thought i'd add it here. Is there such a thing as clear plastic tees? Since that's apparently where alot of plugs occur according to recent posts on this, it might make finding clogs alot easier. I read others here saying it's guesswork, just pull one spout at a time, and you rarely see the plug in a tee but that's where you find it. That's a helpful approach, but why not make it even easier, especially since clear plastic spouts are now pretty common. The tees i used are all black or solid green. A good portion of a few of my lines seem to be running slow -- sap sitting in drop lines not moving, so i need to get going on pulling things apart.
    This is a excellent idea! I would buy those!
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    This is a excellent idea! I would buy those!
    Seriously. Me too. They do make polycarbonate spouts that are clear, but I've never seen a polycarbonate T.

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    I wouldnt cut into a line just because the drops are moving slow. A lot of the drops on the lower part of my 3/16 runs move slow because they dont have as much vacuum as the higher drops at the begining of the runs. And sometimes my lines run slow because the temps are in the mid 30s and the trees just arent running as much compared to a 40 degree day.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12