+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stack assembly question

Default Stack assembly question

Hi guys - I am assembling the new stack and not sure how to use the brackets that came with it. I know this is basic, but I got frustrated staring at it.. so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Here’s the upper part of the stack that I can’t figure out how these brackets attach:

C90C2186-EB7A-44E9-99AA-74D326403F6C.jpg

Here’s the bracket:
    96FDD61F-E838-4E4F-AD1C-800B28297029.jpg

5608A16F-DE1D-4457-9DF5-FC69A9C8A583.jpg

0677493F-1628-4F6E-B73C-AFD2AE096EEA.jpg

Thanks guys
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    18x60 CDL Drop flue Evaporator
    100 Taps on gravity

Your brackets look like my pan plugs. They temporarily plug the connections between pans. My stack just stacks on top of each other and if you want the tabs w/ holes are to tie down top section with cables
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

I've never seen anything like that for a stack. They do look like pan plugs with handles that are way too long. You only need to stack the sections of pipe on top of each other. Use the tabs at the top with cables or wire to secure the pipe if you need to. I would ask the dealer that you bought your stack from what they are for.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Its so weird. The guy that dropped everything off said the stack supports were over there wrapped in bubble.

Now that you mentioned pan plugs, they do indeed look like that.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    100 Taps on gravity

The first picture looks like a flip top stack cover, the others all look like pan plugs. The flip open stack cover gets bolted onto the top stack pipe and is then opened and closed by pulling a rope or small cable from the ground. I use 1/16" or maybe it was 3/32" SS cable. One to pull it open and one to close it.
    The first one I had of that design had a stop at just past the balance point and an operating arm in proper orientation to work properly. Pull on one side it opened, pull on the other and it closed. The one I now have was welded wrong and I was going to remove the control arm and weld it the way it should be and add a stop but then I decided to just use the operating cables. I pull the one to open and the close cable is attached to a fixed point to stop it barely before the balance point. I then hook the opening cable to hold it in position. To close it I just unhook the open cable and lower the flip cap. That worked so well I never saw a reason to remove the cap and change the weld on the operating arm.
    Some use ropes and they hang down over the edge of the roof, my cables are fed thru holes I punched using an 8 penny nail from below, the open cable comes down on one side of the base stack and the other comes down on the opposite side of the base stack.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Mapleflats - I was over at CDL this morning and those are the pan plugs. They are getting me SS brackets to brace the flip top part of the stack to my roof. Unfortunately the wrong size collar came in so I am still waiting on that too. If it doesnt get her soon Ill have to add it later. Cant wait much longer.

I was just going to use rope for the lid, do you think I should consider SS cable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by EBG18T; 02-24-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    100 Taps on gravity

I used some 1/8” stainless Steel aircraft cable on mine that I bought off from amazon. I didn’t want have to get back up there to replace rope when it broke.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I used some 1/8” stainless Steel aircraft cable on mine that I bought off from amazon. I didn’t want have to get back up there to replace rope when it broke.
    I got stainless cable for mine at Home Depot.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread