+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asking to tap

Post Asking to tap

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how you all ask your townmates/neighbors to tap their trees. Do you offer them money or syrup to tap ? Do you not offer anything to them ? I've tried both with no success so far kinda on a string of bad luck I suppose. I'm curious on the way you do guys things and your success rates in doing so. Currently I'm 1 for 5 and I don't really count the one since it's my parents lol. Hopefully I'll be able to land the one I'm really after
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

I pay with syrup. Therefore I make just enough off of the places I tap to give them some. Its a hobby......

I stop and ask the tree owners if they would like to rent their trees for payment in syrup. We pay 1 gallon of syrup for every 100 taps.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

That's a pretty good rate right there sugarmaker. Would like to land something similar. I have 2 other properties I can tap the only problem is ones out of town and the other is a long hike into the woods where it wouldn't really be worth it. No wheeler/equipment allowed on that property to haul it out of the woods. Kind of looking for something right up the street with some nice road side maples to make my impact less on their property and convenient to collect.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

Maybe offer them a sample of your syrup, like a 1/2 pint or nip bottle when you ask them. If they’ve never had it, they might be in for a surprise.
    Or tell them about the health benefits of maple products. That’s what I use
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

I just picked up another roadside sugarbush today. Have been looking at these 5 big maples on my route. I knew i was loosing another group next year (owner doesn't want me to tap them again, also he is the only one of 20 who doesn't take syrup, he wants $20 cash). So I stopped at the new place and ask them about rent their trees for making syrup. Yep good to go next year. They had never been asked before. Keep trying!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I only ask friends and relatives. Always give them syrup. People are fascinated by maple. I think they'd rather have a bottle or two than a larger amount of money. The maple was made with *their* trees. Places come and go. People move and things happen. Lost 12 taps two years ago. Stopped one place b/c it was too far to drive. Gained 20 this year. I've had good luck mostly bc it's fun and people like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I stop and ask the tree owners if they would like to rent their trees for payment in syrup. We pay 1 gallon of syrup for every 100 taps.
    Regards,
    Chris
    I stopped tapping my neighbor's woods this year. It was too bad because she has very nice trees and it's right downhill from my sugar bush. The arrangement for the last 5 years was "you know where I store the syrup, take as much as you want". Well, she said that wasn't enough. Said she needed 6 gallons of syrup bottled up in quarts. She only had about 90 taps. Nope. I'll leave the sap on the trees.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I’ve had good luck so far with several of my next door Neighbors, 5 for 5 now. I think it helps that we’re all close neighbors. It has actually brought us a little closer as friends. I’ve promised syrup only and the amount is related to their number of taps, the sapntheyre producing, and also any effort they put in. A neighbor last year collected all their buckets, brought them to my place along with some wood to burn. I gave them about 3 quarts out of my total 7 gallons, for around 6 taps. Others I gave only a pint. One neighbor this year seemed reluctant and I was ready to give up when they told me to go ahead. I plan to have a little neighborhood party at the end of season.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

+ Reply to Thread