+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - NW Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    I understand that to be correct with maples, what is happening above ground determines when the sap flows. With birch, it is what happens below the ground (roots) that determine when it flows. (that is why birch tapping season comes about the time that maple has ended.)
    I don't think so....deep frost in the woods does hamper sap flow from maples. I have trees on a ridge and there is a north and a south to this ridge. The frost always goes deep on top of that ridge b/c the north wind blows the snow off every winter, so there is always frost up there most winters. This winter we had very little snow...an inch or two, and the frost has gone down 12-18" with the cold winter. My south trees ran pretty good on Wednesday, more than any day this year b/c there is some frost starting to come out there. I have not got enough off the north side to clear the lines yet. With that being said, the south ones have not run gang busters yet. I don't see any big runs for at least another week, maybe two. One old timer once told me, "the sap runs the best when you can't get to the trees." What do you think that means?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Mark - I don't know your woods but, I do see a direct flow relation in my trees if they are getting hit by the sun (south facing) and those that are in the shade (north facing).

I tapped 20 trees in woods 2 weeks ago, they haven't yielded much more than a quart, 18-24 inches snow. Yesterdayy I put in 6 taps in my yard, and they all were dripping right away. Today I went back to woods, put in another 30 taps, none flowing, although about half were wet. Still over a foot of snow. Cumberland WI

Been tapped since last Sunday. Still not enough in the buckets to make a worthwhile collection. Too many single digit lows at night.
    301 buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    Mark - I don't know your woods but, I do see a direct flow relation in my trees if they are getting hit by the sun (south facing) and those that are in the shade (north facing).
    Yes, the south facing trees that get more sun also usually don't have as much frost in the ground. My south side had 12" of frost while 300 feet to the north over the ridge and north slope has 18" of frost. Many year we don't get any frost in the woods if we get a initial good snow cover in early december, not the case this year where we didn't get a good snow cover until after January 22nd. My south trees did not run as good yesterday as the day before.....9 above zero for a low = trees being frozen the following day is what is at hand now.

Usually takes a good soft warm rain which really pulls frost out.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Tim and I went out again today to try to tap the trees. I first used one snowmobile to break trails, it's stuck big time. Walked back to the cabin, snow up to my mid thighs. Came back to the cabin only to find that Tim was stuck with the ATV trying to free up the other snowmobile that was frozen in deep snow and stuck. We managed to get the ATV free with the winch, got second snowmobile out and I blasted through the deep snow to try to get it up from the valley. It's stuck. We're done for today.
    I am really itching to tap my saplines. Snowshoes don't help with the icy crust on top, (not strong enough to support one's weight) and then the icy ball snow underneath. I am really surprised at how deep the stupid snow still is. My average tap date is St. Pat's so I'm not off by much yet.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

Been tapped for two weeks. Not much happening here. Temps have been too cold at night . The trees just start to drip and then the temp starts going down. Have only collected about 100 gallons so far including the 28 gallons we picked yesterday.

G. Cindy, I don't think you're missing much of anything yet. Most of my trees are doing absolutely nothing. I'm hesitant to even start up the evaporator with the 90 gallons I collected yesterday, with the colder temps now predicted for the next few days, there may not be a decent run until late in the week. Every year its always the same; something different.
    301 buckets

On a good note, the sap I am getting is 3%. (yeah, 3% is good for my reds...)

Still tapping my foot checking the watch, waiting for the sap to flow...it should be any time now. I might have enough drops in the bucket to collect tomorrow; I hope.
    301 buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast