+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - NW Wisconsin

Lightbulb 2018 - NW Wisconsin

First year mapler. Wondering on people's thoughts.
    Anyone using buckets thinking of tapping early next week.
    Temps look pretty decent for next week.

I'm not quite as far north as you (I'm tapping just north of Appleton) but we're tapping this weekend, based on next weeks forecast. If there's a lot of frost in the ground the trees don't start running right away, but they should very soon by us.

The forecasted temps look encouraging, but I plan to hold off for at least another week.
    We are located north of Tony - plan to tap possibly next weekend or during the week after depending on the forecast at the time.
    Scott Bingham
    Smoky Lake 2x5 Corsair Arch and Hybrid Pro Pan
    Smoky Lake 3 Bank Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Steam Bottler
    100+ Taps
    Pug 4x4 Sap & Wood Hauler

Default Scout Taps

Probably jumping a couple weeks ahead of action, but upper 30's to low 40's forecast this week, I put out 2 taps today just to see. About 16" of snow cover, with bigger drifts.😊

4" inches of frost under knee deep + snow in our woods north of Tony. Wonder how long before the sap flows with 40 degree days predicted all week. Think I too will scatter a few test buckets about the woods to see what I'm missing out on.
    301 buckets

Default Few test buckets

Think Saturday I'm going to put some test taps out.
    If anyone has tried any yet, would appreciate
    any results people have had.

I have been tapping all week. Plan to start vac on sat. Slow going on snowshoes. Some trees are flowing. Some are wet. Some are still frozen
    3500 taps, vacuum.

I've put out 75 taps today. On snow shoes, hard with 27" of snow on the ground. My 67 year old body is feeling it. My Allis Chalmers WD doesn't do very good at all, front axel pushing snow. The trees were running a bit when I first tap them, but it does slow down. Early this year, as we usually start around the 10th of March. But getting them out early won't hurt. The snow is getting real heavy as the day goes on. Real hard walking with snow shoes on. I'd like to get the rest of the taps out in the next few days and hope to make some trails with snow shoes that I can drive the 6x6 on to collect when needed. Caught with my pants down this year as I don't have my evaporator set up yet. Hope everyone is ready, and that you all make a load of syrup this year. Let's hear what's going on with everyone!!!!!!!!
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

2 inches in my aluminum test buckets this evening. I put them on good runners too, (south side) yesterday. I think I'll start tapping tomorrow and finish Friday. I have to get the evaporator set up this weekend too and rinse the tanks etc...
    301 buckets

Okay, I decided to hold off on tapping for now. Probably ran another inch today but was very slow when I checked this afternoon.
    301 buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast