+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is CDL getting bigger?

Default Is it me or is CDL getting bigger?

Just food for thought but is it me or is CDL maple supplies getting big? I always bought leader because it was all I knew but I am learning they seem to be way overpriced and old school or don't seem to think outside the box. I purchased some CDL brand supplies this year and couldn't be happier. Pricing was very fair and they seem to have alot of new innovative ideas and are very high tech. Either I am just noticing it because I bought CDL this year or it seems like their products are everywhere now. Can't say as that's a bad thing!

CDL has come on strong in the last 5 years I would say. They have opened multiple superstore around and have good independent dealer support. I used to be all leader, and now its changing to CDL, tubing from CDL is much more user friendly tha
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

I second Jeff on the tubing.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

CDL, fittings are much better for high vac as is their lateral lines, and cheaper...... You would think leader making all the money they do charging more for just about everything would put two cents into getting better for instance CDL maxflow fittings are smoother with no part lines and more leak proof then leaders. To boot every time I usually ders lateral line I swear at myself because it's harder to work with it seems. Although what I recently noticed about my operation is everything in the woods is CDL and when you get in the Sugar House it's more leader equipment except for my barrels because I do not like the side bung. CDL offers an account or you can pay once a month. But overall I find CDLs cheaper and as far as their tubing and fittings are much better
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

There is a CDL shop barely 10 minutes from my place so naturally I have gone with them for most everything, but yes they have some nice stuff.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

We were always leader, but I'm warming to CDL. Leader has 3 dealers in Maine, all at least 1 1/2 hour or more from me. Seems like CDL has a dealer at every other sugarhouse. They've definitely done a better job making it easier to buy their stuff. Leader needs to step up their dealer network and fitting options. They still don't make t's for 3/16 with 5/16 drops or endline hooks with dropline.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Haynes Forest Products Guest

When I started with my supplier 20 plus years ago they were Lapierre Waterloo Small dealer and that is what my pans are. Then I went to a maple conference in Green Bay 18 years ar so ago and went over to the guys selling That brand and they were very distant and glum when I asked where Roth Sugarbush and Garth was. I found Then across the convention hall selling this new brand called CDL. Know one seemed to be talking to each other.

When I turned both my finish pans into fire pits I sent them to Roth/CDL and they sent one off to CDL and they copied it exactly with a few custom ideas I had. Couldn't have been better to work with. Had a third one made and it was perfect.

I know its a game of build the brand and acquire others along the way. I know they picked up WestFab.

I think Leader used to be #1 in many areas, but they certainly are pricey. CDL just filled the void, as have a few other newer or newly expanded companies. Competition is a good thing.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

SOB's cost me another $300 this morning. But we're all tapped in and looking good in the woods.

I am lucky to have a CDL master store 10 min from the house & the CDL rep lives here in town. They are easy to deal with and always return my text message or they stay late to let me pickup supplies. It’s that personalized service that keeps me going back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    18x60 CDL Drop flue Evaporator
    100 Taps on gravity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast