+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bucsh vs. Air tech

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have the L65 Airteck and love it I leave it outside in the cold and it runs just fine at start up. Just change the oil regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Hill View Post
    I looked at the atlas copco website, and a gsv 40 which is comparable to my 2 HP, 28 cfm airtech, was fairly close to what I paid at around 3,300$. The units really look alot alike. S.S.S is your gsv 60 3 phase? It seems that anything over 2 HP is 3 phase on that website, maybe that's standard? I don't know.
    Yes it’s 3phase and I called my local rep last week Friday for current price on a gvs60 for my neighbor and can get one for $2578. And current price on gvs100 is $3517.
    Last edited by S.S.S; 04-10-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    S.S.S.: Which Atlas Copco pump do you use? I just skimmed the dry claw brochure and it says the lowest ambient operating temperature is the freezing mark. Is this correct?
    Not sure if this answers your question, but the Atlas Copco pumps do need to be in a heated space and kept warm in order to start up. Oil needs to be warm enough, I believe. We like the pumps. Have 2 and they work good. Just need to design the releaser/pump setup the right way to ensure sap never gets in your pump.

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    I would be interested in hearing more about the Busch R5 pumps. I am considering getting a new pump for next season looking at Atlas Copco which I have heard very good things about. Now I am hearing good things about the R5 which is not a dry pump like most other Busch pumps the R5 uses oil. The prices are a little closer as well where as with other Busch pumps that cost quite a bit more. So who has a Busch R5?
    The Busch and airtech pumps are identical, take all same filters oil etc. Rock solid pumps, I've always been a fan of vane pumps as they are more reliable. I do believe that airtech for whatever reason pulls more vaccum, 28.5-29. versus my Busch I get only 27-28........they are the only style pump I would use
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I had a Busch Vane pump and I hated it. It was a 5hp but not sure of the model. It had a LoveJoy coupler that kept shredding and they are a pain to replace if your alone. Air tech does not have that problem. I am running a 5hp Air Tech vane pump in my lower woods and it is a great pump. I just bought a Air Tech liquid ring pump for my sugar house and that works great. The beauty of the liquid ring pump is sap/water can get into the pump and at worst you would just have to replace the oil. That is a 5 minute fix. If sap/water gets into your vane pump you have problems and could loose a days worth of sap. I have a thermostat on my liquid ring pump and I have not drained any moisture from that pump yet. It's been running for 4 weeks now.

Spud

This is my fifth season using a Bush R-5-100 62 CFM pump. Cost 5 years ago, $4575.00. The R5 should be in a heated space that is about 45 -50 degrees. Now for the review.

The pump makes great reliable vacuum with one warning, which I did not get when I bought the pump. This pump should not be run below 22-23 inches of vacuum or it will blow the oil out the exhaust. I found this out the hard way when pulling taps 2 years ago and letting the drops hang instead of putting the drop on the tee plug. I am lucky that a friend stopped by the sap shed as I was pulling taps and saw the oil blowing out the exhaust. The solution was easy, plug the drops off.

I have run the pump for several season without adding a drop of oil to the reservoir.

Like Spud, I don't like the Lovejoy fitting. I have had to replace it twice and it is a big pain.

The 2 filters for the R-5 are expensive and the oil is expensive if you buy it from Lapierre. $30. a quart. I finally found a source for the Busch oil at $19.00 a gallon.

If I knew then what I know now, I would buy another brand pump or a different pump. I should have stuck with buying a 2 stage Sihi liquid ring oil pump like what I have at my sugar house. But now I have too much invested in the R-5 to get rid of it and I just run the pump making sure the vacuum level doesn't go below 22 - 23 inches. My vacuum room is heated any way because of the electric releaser.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    This is my fifth season using a Bush R-5-100 62 CFM pump. Cost 5 years ago, $4575.00. The R5 should be in a heated space that is about 45 -50 degrees. Now for the review.

The pump makes great reliable vacuum with one warning, which I did not get when I bought the pump. This pump should not be run below 22-23 inches of vacuum or it will blow the oil out the exhaust. I found this out the hard way when pulling taps 2 years ago and letting the drops hang instead of putting the drop on the tee plug. I am lucky that a friend stopped by the sap shed as I was pulling taps and saw the oil blowing out the exhaust. The solution was easy, plug the drops off.

I have run the pump for several season without adding a drop of oil to the reservoir.

Like Spud, I don't like the Lovejoy fitting. I have had to replace it twice and it is a big pain.

The 2 filters for the R-5 are expensive and the oil is expensive if you buy it from Lapierre. $30. a quart. I finally found a source for the Busch oil at $19.00 a gallon.

If I knew then what I know now, I would buy another brand pump or a different pump. I should have stuck with buying a 2 stage Sihi liquid ring oil pump like what I have at my sugar house. But now I have too much invested in the R-5 to get rid of it and I just run the pump making sure the vacuum level doesn't go below 22 - 23 inches. My vacuum room is heated any way because of the electric releaser.

Joe
    Do you mind telling the source for the oil?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Wiam,

I bought the gallons of Busch vacuum oil from New Boston Pump in New Hampshire. I think that they are the regional distributor for Busch. I usually speak to Richard. The number is 603-894-6677

It costs me $27.00 to ship 2 gallons. I got the oil the next day. Even with the shipping, the oil cost a little over $8.50 a quart.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12