+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping UP Michigan

I did not. I have a doc appointment this morning n will drive up afterwards to do some prep work today n will tap tomorrow. My bud up by the swan Peterson flowage got @40 gal Friday out of 60 taps but no run on Saturday. Were you at camp this weekend? Any taps in? Good to hear from you btw.

[QUOTE=Plungerke;391874]We tapped on Saturday, 162 buckets hanging. Sunday we prepared a new ridge for 3/16” gravity pipeline, had to trim beech saplings out of the way, discovered there is a lot more snow in the woods than we thought, 16-18”, we will get the tubing hung during the week and then wait for the run! The pipeline is new for us as the area around the sugar shack is fairly flat, we are excited to give this gravity suction a try!
    Good luck sugar makers.[/QUOTE

Oops. Just saw this post. Reading on my phone this morning n screen is small. Good luck with the new pipeline. I have a great ridge for tubing but just stuck with the trees close to my camp road. Don’t think I’ll get to running a line up the ridge. Having some health issues n have received two inquires about selling my camp. This might be my last sugar season. 😞

Tapped Saturday in iron county. Sap was following well but very low sugar %. Was letting it dump on ground anyways to flush out lines. Added another 2 new lines (3/16). Looks like a good run Tues thru the weekend
    2020 first season ever, wife to be said she wanted to give out maple syrup @ upcoming wedding. I get carried away easy.
    100 taps on 3/16. 30 buckets. 12x20 sugar shack. 3x4 flat pan on barrel arch. Rb 20 kit RO. Tapping in iron county Michigan.

Default Sappage

Tapped yesterday. Run started late but most bags (those that stayed on the trees!) have 3-4” in them. Was so windy I thought the Soo Liner took a detour through my 40! Hoping for better today. Will put out another dozen taps or so this morning n hope to collect this afternoon. Easiest tapping I have ever had with the least amount of snow. 12-18” with a good morning crust.

What area you in sappage? This is only my second year but was certainly less snow than last year. I couldn't even reach some of last year's tap holes. Still needed snow shoes. My first boil will be Sunday. Forgot to set up my cell cam so it'll be a surprise how full the tanks are
    2020 first season ever, wife to be said she wanted to give out maple syrup @ upcoming wedding. I get carried away easy.
    100 taps on 3/16. 30 buckets. 12x20 sugar shack. 3x4 flat pan on barrel arch. Rb 20 kit RO. Tapping in iron county Michigan.

I’m about 60 miles East of you. Have a friend near hagerman lake. His camp always has colder temps n way more snow than mine. Collected 50 gal from 70 taps yesterday. Bags ranged from nothing to 2 gal. Thinking the run will take off starting Sunday. But then my beer bottle is always half full. Good luck fighting that snow.
    Mark

Checked my sugar bush and we don’t have much in the buckets, we tapped Saturday. Doesn’t look like we will be starting the evaporator this weekend.
    Latitude location: 45° 51' 48.0" N
    2013 - 48 taps and a home made arch / pan = 19 gallons
    2014 - 74 taps and counting, upgrades to Arch
    2015 - 98 taps and counting, NEW custom made Arch, 30hp New Holland tractor
    2016 - 0 taps :-( had to skip this year
    2017 - 100 taps and back in the game
    2018 - 145 taps, NEW Sugar Shack & family and friends to help.
    2019 - 170 taps, 30 gallons of Sticky Bush syrup
    2020 - planning on retailing some Sticky Bush
    2021 - adding gravity pipeline with 60 taps

Hmm... when I left camp yesterday most bags had 3-4” of sap after collecting the previous afternoon. That’s a decent run for me. We are very close so identical weather n snow conditions. Your taps are are way more spread out compared to mine. I’m basically on top of a hill tapering away to the south so maybe I have better exposure to the sun? My neighbor to the north used to sugar n my trees ran better earlier than his on the north side of the hill. His always caught up n hopefully yours will do so soon. I’m coming back up Saturday n hope to start a boil soon after. Temps look a little warm but hoping that jumpstarts a good run. Good luck.

Put in 100 taps today at Tahquamenon Maples. About 1/4 were dripping pretty good. If I can find the buckets I can do another dozen.
    Gotta get the evaporator ready, clean the head tank and storage barrels, and install the smokestack. Looks good for the next few days.
    2006 - 12 taps on open fire
    2011 - 50 taps new 2 x 4 flat pan + warmer
    2012 - 65 taps new 16 x 16 sugar shack
    2013- 75 taps and no more, well maybe 85 now
    2016-97 taps
    1 Lab and my wife's Springer

Buckets had a few inches of sap, had it not been frozen solid we would have boiled. We left it in the buckets and will pick on Monday afternoon, with the warmer temp Monday we are hoping to get a fresh run of sap and thaw some high sugar ice (natural RO at work).
    We are trying something new this year, we added 60 taps on gravity pipeline. If this works out we will be doing less buckets next year.
    Latitude location: 45° 51' 48.0" N
    2013 - 48 taps and a home made arch / pan = 19 gallons
    2014 - 74 taps and counting, upgrades to Arch
    2015 - 98 taps and counting, NEW custom made Arch, 30hp New Holland tractor
    2016 - 0 taps :-( had to skip this year
    2017 - 100 taps and back in the game
    2018 - 145 taps, NEW Sugar Shack & family and friends to help.
    2019 - 170 taps, 30 gallons of Sticky Bush syrup
    2020 - planning on retailing some Sticky Bush
    2021 - adding gravity pipeline with 60 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast