+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping UP Michigan

Could be July 4th before we get sap weather!

Hoping to start tapping the tubing tomorrow. Been a tough season so far. Weather wizards kinda dropped the ball the last few weeks.
    46.4311 N
    2012 15 milk jugs 1 gal. syrup
    2013 33 milk jugs and buckets 8 gal. syrup
    2014 39 sap bags 6 gal. syrup
    2015 75 bags 10 gal. syrup
    2016 50 3/16" gravity vacuum 30 bags 20 gal. syrup
    2017 80 3/16" gravity vacuum 20 bags 25 gal. syrup
    2x4 Smoky Lake Flat Pan with Preheater.
    Smoky Lake Bottler

i run about 75 taps, and this year sit at 8 gals. so far. the best i have done is just over 6. i think in a week or two, things should play them selves out. the last week has been about perfect, but really off and on in sap flow. some real bleeders, some seem to have dried up, so for the next few days, on sap runs a few buckets will be pulled

Have 83 taps in this year. Hardly running yet. Temperatures just to cold.
    Have only gathered 55 gallons of sap. Looks like the flow will be better starting today.
    N 45 51.5406
    w 88 2.607655

100 taps
    sunrise 2x4 evaporator
    new 12 x 20 sugar shack
    Just a hobby for the family

Hi All,

New to the whole maple syrup game - trying to make some syrup for friends and family...

Looking for some advice...

Put in another 4 taps yesterday, up to 13 in total but have nothing to really show for it.

We received 5 inches of snow this morning and after knocking the jugs clean on a walk around have maybe 1/2 gallon ☹ of sap.

Temps are in the high 30's but wind is pushing 15 to 20 mph and some of my maples are spouting these little stalk looking things from their tips.

What is going on?

Can wind impact sap production so much as to stop a tree from producing even in 40 degree temps?

Store told me to put plastic drop line from tap to bucket near ground but with 3 feet of snow it means my line is only 12 inches long to a hanging jug - could this be an issue?

I just do not understand how with temps finally in the good numbers the trees seem silent. Even earlier when the temp was 31 degrees I was collecting more sap, but then there was no wind and plenty of sun...

Frustrated and looking for some tips 😊

Thanks

Hello and welcome to this addictive hobby.
    It is said that 20 & 40 are the perfect revolving temps. A nice hard freeze and then a nice warm up, with good sun is even better. Were the trees running when you drilled them? The wind has never made a difference to my trees. You have a lot of snow yet, thats not something we have a problem with in south west Mich. If you just tapped, be patient, good runs are coming. I would always put longer tubing on and wrap around the tree one time, so as the snow melts you can adapt your bucket placement by setting it on the ground. The only drawback for a short tube is bacteria will get into it quicker and shut down your production sooner.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Ivyacres; 03-27-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: answer another ?

Hi,

Tank you for the reply.

Good idea on the tube wrapping, clever.

Most of the taps went in and were dry (3 of 9 were running) but they all had been producing every day (except for 2 stubborn 40 inchers, but figured it was too big to warm up yet) the temps got above the low 30's.

Yesterday it was 39 and I put in 4 more, 2 were dry. One wet one has already produced 1/4 gallon this morning but the rest are mainly dry.

It is about 34 degrees right now with climbing temps today and 50 degrees tomorrow - maybe its just a weather thing?

Ohh, is it normal for little stem like things to start sticking out of the bud tips and should I not tap these maples? I could probably tap another 10 trees, but seems wasteful if the ones I have already tapped will start running...

Seems odd as we have literally only had maybe 6 days over 30 in the last month.

Stinky Bottom, give it a day or two for the tree to thaw out. Many times if the tree was running and you get a long cold snap it can take one or two days to start running good. A warm wind should help in most cases, the wind pushes the warmer air into the woods where it would usually stay cooler. Be patient, it is coming! As for the stem thing, I'm not sure what you are trying to describe.

Thank you for the reply.

Certainly will give it a few more weeks - hopefully things start swinging in the right direction.

For the tree, I have attached a couple of pics. I do not have a tap in this tree, but I am wondering if anyone knows what the long stem-like things are and if it means I should not use sap from trees that start doing this. Is it budding out?Screenshot_20180327-164743.jpg20180327_163320.jpg

Hey stinky, that tree is not even close to budding out. Those "stem like things" are the buds, and are there all winter. In the spring they will start to swell up, and eventually open. When they start to swell, they will get 4-5 times bigger before they finally pop.

Mid 30's for temp is barely enough to thaw out the trees, keep waiting they will flow. Sunny and low to mid 40's is great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast