+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping UP Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
    RMG in Rudyard Michigan got 31,000 gallons of sap yesterday. That’s a lot of syrup.
    i assume you meant 310 gal.... my son had spring break so he stayed at camp with me for a few days... got maybe 40-50 gal of sap on some of those days... he leaves for a doc appt n i get 155 gal.... made for a a crown royal n aleve kinda night... boiled that down for 3 days n only wound up with only 5 gal of syrup even though i added another 70 gal of sap ... musta had a low sugar content... anyway that ran the total up to 13.5 gal of syrup so i pulled taps n cjeaned up... sounds like the run continued well into april but it was budding pretty good when i left for home. speaking of ro's, son says he's getting me an ro bucket for father's day... that should help....

no misprint on the gallons of sap. that's at least 500 gallons of syrup in a day.

so you collected 500 gal of sap per day for 2 months? how many taps?

I don't think it was him personally but they collected 31,000 gallons of sap in one day which makes about 500 gallons of syrup.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

ah, i misread. i thought he was trolling so i was trolling back. my bad. need to slow down when i read these posts. apologies to ed.

RMG has a pretty big operation. I bet all the big producers had two really big days that last week and a half of season. Kind of puts it in perspective when they make as much syrup in a half hour as I do in a whole season.

Third year tapping, going to put in this weekend Chassell MI. I'm doing 35 buckets this year and next week looks warm though overcast.

Likely early/mid next week for me in Chassell as well! Do I know you GanaSugar? We gotta be close!
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Hey Nasion, I'm on south entry, ended up digging down to the ground today and putting all my buckets out but waiting to tap until Tuesday.

I ended up tapping my 35 trees yesterday in the sunshine when it was just above 30 degrees, no trees running at the time of tapping, a couple of my trees, which have been prolific producers in years past, had some sap frozen in the lines when I checked around 9pm. Hopefully 40 and sunny today I'll see which taps will be producing this week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast