+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to bottle in decorative glass

Default Looking to bottle in decorative glass

Our daughter is getting married later this fall and would like to have maple syrup favors for the guests. Has anyone bottled in the bail top type bottles with luck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I've done something similar for my brother in-law. I used a glass coffee pot but I'm pretty small time. Worked pretty good but did take some time. Have yet to purchase a bottler/canner but I think that'll be one of my next purchases.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

Quote Originally Posted by GramaCindy View Post
    Our daughter is getting married later this fall and would like to have maple syrup favors for the guests. Has anyone bottled in the bail top type bottles with luck?

IMG_0188.JPG

10th year in….
    14x14 sugar shack
    Sap Dog Chloe

Should be fine. The only favors I've bottled have been in the 50ml maple leaf, but any bottle that is clean and has a good seal will be good. It all depends on what your daughter wants.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I did 6 gallons in them last year. No Problems, I did wax seal the tops after filling just to be sure no air leaked in.Maple.jpg
    Martin
    2008 1st yr 5 taps 2 steam table pans
    2009 20 taps 4 steam table pans
    2010 83 taps 28x72 arch W/Thru Tubes
    2011 83 taps Thru tube
    2012 83 taps Thru tube pan
    2015 Added single post homebuilt RO
    http://photobucket.com/maplefarmer
    N 44° 5' 2.0239"

If you are referring to the metal wire bail swing top I think they are the way to go. I have tried many different glass bottles over the years and the bail top are a bit pricey but the most user friendly. As far as getting a good seal you cant screw it up it makes a very simple easy to use seal and they are easily reusable. You can simply wash the bottles and rubber seals or buy new rubber seals. By far the most difficult to get a good seal for me has been consistently the maple leaf bottles. In fact I won't buy them anymore. The maple leafs are expensive and if I have over half that get a good seal I am lucky. Just my personal experience.

On the small 50 ml maple leaf, we did 150 and had one that didn't get a good seal. We only needed 140 so it was good. On smaller size glass you need to heat the glass before filling it or the temperature falls too fast.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank you guys. I did decide to go with the Galone bottle from Morley's Maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10th year in….
    14x14 sugar shack
    Sap Dog Chloe

+ Reply to Thread