+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with my vacuum pump

Default Need help with my vacuum pump

I have a 10 hp Kinney two stage pump. It is a liquid ring pump with a oil reclaimer. My pump lost it's prime yesterday three times resulting in a loss of vacuum. I would wait 15 minutes and then turn the pump back on and all was fine and went right back up to 29 inches. The pump runs 29 inches and then 24 feet away at the releaser it is 28.5 inches. I talked to the CDL service man and he said to check the hoses from the reclaimer to the radiator and the hose going from the radiator to the pump. Both hoses were fine and not plugged. Then I checked the radiator itself and blew air through it. Everything seemed fine there. The pump looses it's prime but there is still oil in the pump. I was told there is a seal in the pump that might be the problem. The seal may not be allowing oil to pass through from the reclaimer but I don't think thats the problem. The pump is full of oil when it looses it's prime. Tonight when I shut the pump down I let it sit for 30 minutes and then opened the drain at the bottom of the reclaimer to see if there was water/moisture and I did drain about one pint to a quart of water. The pump was running since yesterday morning except for it's brief stops because of the loss of prime. Is it possible that the pump looses it's prime due to a pint/quart of moisture that built up over the last 30+ hours? The service man said a half inch vacuum difference between pump and releaser is nothing to worry about. With such a tight system I'm not sure how I am getting that much moisture in such a short amount of time. Last year the pump would run for weeks without any problem. So what I'm wondering is this. Is the pump loosing it's prime due to a small amount of moisture or is it something else like the seal? Until I figure this out I have to babysit the pump all the time. I hate babysitting. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Spud

I had similar issues with a smaller pump last year- problem was the rotor. I wont elaborate.....I did discover a lot along the way though.....Is there a flow limiter between the reclaimer and the pump? Mine was a rubber disc with 3 small holes. The holes could've gotten plugged, no oil. Good luck!
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by wdchuck View Post
    I had similar issues with a smaller pump last year- problem was the rotor. I wont elaborate.....I did discover a lot along the way though.....Is there a flow limiter between the reclaimer and the pump? Mine was a rubber disc with 3 small holes. The holes could've gotten plugged, no oil. Good luck!
    I'm not sure yet about the pump having any flow limiter. I took the radiator out and flushed it out with air but that did not help. What little we could see inside the radiator was very clean. I ran diesel fuel through the pump last night just in case the radiator is partially plugged. The pump seems to be starving for oil and is running a little hot. I had a service guy come yesterday but he did not have his CFM gauge. What happens is after the sap dumps out of my manual releaser the vacuum drops to about 15 at the moisture trap. It then goes right back to 29 inches. The pump appears to be lacking enough CFMs to make up for lost CFMs during the dump. Thats when I loose my prime on the pump. Sometimes the pump will only run for 30 minutes before loosing it's prime. Other times it could be 10 hours. When it does I just shut the motor off for 10 minutes and then restart the pump and it goes right back to 29 inches at the moisture trap. I'm going to drain the diesel this morning and put fresh oil back in the pump. Once up to 29 inches I will manually dump the releaser to see if it looses it's prime. The service guy said it's either the radiator or the pump itself. I'm hoping it's the radiator just plugged.

Spud

Your symptoms are just about identical to mine. It turns my vac pump had problems with the rotor. Previously, a service tech had replaced the shaft seal, totally bungled the tolerances which caused some surfaces of the rotor to get ground off. The metal filings collected inside the ports of the rotor partially blocking the flow of oil and air. Replaced the rotor and the pump maxed out where it should.
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations

Where is the rotor located? There is an oil line going from the radiator to the pump. That oil line has a facet style valve on it. Just past that there is a brass T where a small copper pipe goes up to the pump. The oil line goes into the bottom of the pump.

Spud

Rotor I'm referring to is the main rotor in a liquid ring pump.
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations

The kinney pump is way diffrent than the Osr. Osr are single stage and the kinneys are two stage pumps.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Try flushing it out with diesel fuel. let it run for a few minutes drain and put in new oil. The water and oil may have put slim in the pump so the oil won't circulate.This might clean the crap out.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

I ran diesel fuel through the pump for over an hour. I then took the reclaimer apart and cleaned out the oil tank. Either the diesel really cleaned things up or it was always clean. There was some junk at the bottom of the tank. The port where the oil line hooks to the reclaimer and then goes to the radiator is only 1-2 inches from the bottom of the tank. I moved that line up about 5 inches to another port hole that had a plug in it. Something tells me it should have been there all along. I put in new oil and tomorrow we will see if it keeps it's prime even when the releaser dumps. I see Lapierre sells a CFM gauge for $200. I may buy one tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

Spud

I would leave the oil line in the lower reclaimer hole. 1 the colder oil will drop to the bottom and 2 there will be less turblence in the bottom to get air in the system to cause air lock or mess with oil flow.
    Last edited by Brian; 02-26-2018 at 05:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast