+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt RO with 400gpd membranes

Default Homebuilt RO with 400gpd membranes

I decided to bite the bullet and build myself an RO system because of the tsunami of sap I'm getting. I've ordered a bunch of parts based on the homebuilt systems that others have built but I think I ordered a couple of mis-matched components. I saw that people were using 400gpd membranes so that's what I ordered and I also ordered housings that I thought went with the membranes but that was not the case. So, now I have these 400gpd membranes that are 3" wide and 2.5" membrane housings. I can order a 3" housing for the membrane but I'm wondering if there is a 2.5" 400gpd membership. My question is, what are people using for 400gpd membranes and housings? Should I get the proper housing or a different membrane?
    Last edited by DaveB; 02-21-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added links to what I'm building and ordered.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I literally just did the sane thing you have but all my parts arent in yet. I went with the 3012 ro membranes and housings. My reasoning was I basically mimicked therobucket and those are what he uses as I have zero experience with RO. Hope that kinda helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmeehan19 View Post
    I literally just did the sane thing you have but all my parts arent in yet. I went with the 3012 ro membranes and housings. My reasoning was I basically mimicked therobucket and those are what he uses as I have zero experience with RO. Hope that kinda helps.
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing. I'm torn between ordering the right housings or a different sent of membranes. The worst part is that I have more sap than I've ever had in a week and I specifically ordered everything on Monday to be delivered today so I could put it all together and use it this weekend but I don't think that's going to happen. Where did you order them if you don't mind me asking? eBay? That's the only place I've seen them.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

just a curiosity ? you use a 400 gpd membrane does it matter which one i mean i gathered parts for a 4x40 and i use the xle but is there a special 400 gpd membrane you guys use

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead62 View Post
    just a curiosity ? you use a 400 gpd membrane does it matter which one i mean i gathered parts for a 4x40 and i use the xle but is there a special 400 gpd membrane you guys use
    It might be a cost perspective. The three membranes I purchased along with their housings are under $200 whereas I think a single 4x40 is that much along without the housing. I was also under the impression that you needed a larger booster pump like a Procon with the 4x40's. I purchased an aquatec.

This is the membrane I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/Membrane-Solu...dp/B071SGLF18/

Here's the housing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NSF-Reverse...r/253210943093
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

dave i was just curios if it was a specialty ro cartridge like the xle or if any one would work based on gpd

Default Membranes

The 3012 is the "cartridge" size. The housing will fit multiple membranes between 200 and 400gpd (with the 3012 designation). The 3013's are a little taller and skinnier. I've seen 600gpd membranes in the 3013 size. I use the 3012's in my ro buckets because the 3013's are too tall.

The xle membranes can work up to 600psi. These household ones are 200psi max (most household booster pumps deadhead at 130psi anyways).

Carl

i was more wondering if they all work to catch sugar like some 4x40's will pass some sugar at any psi some wont some are better than others because they work quicker at lower pressures so i guess the answer is except for size and gpd rating they are all the same

Got ya the xle is rated for 99% rejection rate. Most 3012's are 96-98%. The Dow are rated the highest. I do know that it's not uncommon to see up to .02 % sugar in the permeate with the 3012's when sap is in the 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing. I'm torn between ordering the right housings or a different sent of membranes. The worst part is that I have more sap than I've ever had in a week and I specifically ordered everything on Monday to be delivered today so I could put it all together and use it this weekend but I don't think that's going to happen. Where did you order them if you don't mind me asking? eBay? That's the only place I've seen them.
    I ordered from Amazon. Was here in a day and a half.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast