+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny evaporators

Well, my first ever evaporator was a 5 gallon stock pot on a fire but after 14 hours of boiling with very little progress I abandoned that one...
    Rick

7 taps in Suburban Pittsburgh
    6 sqft Homemade Evaporator from Heating Oil Tank

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9...PpyLCPlJ3GZxbA

I’ve upgraded this year and I’m really liking it so far. I built the ever popular barrel stove evaporator with SS serving trays last year and it worked pretty good, learned a lot and had fun! So for my third year I got an 18”x2’x6” flat pan. Sealed it in good with stove gasket and a tight cut. I added a pre heater from the old SS serving tray that I’ve been able to preheat the sap to 115 degrees with. Also got a 100cfm fan to boost the evap rate to about 5.5 to 6 gph, so I added a few more taps as well! It been fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Same shed/sugar shack. Same barrel stove , with an upgraded 18”x 24”x 6” pan, a preheater and blower
    22 (very productive) taps on buckets

2017 Home made barrel stove set up with 2 SS serving trays, in a 12x16 shed/ sugar shack, 14 buckets and 2 gals made. We’re Hooked!
    A 32hp Yanmar Cub Cadet EX 3200, Back Saver

2016 Turkey Fryer and wood stove outside, 6 buckets, 0 gals and a story!

Wow, Twin Chimneys, that thing looks awesome! How do you vent the steam?
    Rick

7 taps in Suburban Pittsburgh
    6 sqft Homemade Evaporator from Heating Oil Tank

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9...PpyLCPlJ3GZxbA

Last year I boiled in a steam pan on my coleman camp stove out on the porch. This year I built a framework to fit on my Blackstone griddle (with the griddle removed). The framework holds 2 pans. It worked ok. I think I only got about 2 gallons per hour. I was hoping for more. It was convenient though. I think I may try to build a 55 gallon drum arch for next year. I'll keep with the 2 steam pans and try for some kind of preheater.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

Here's my homemade oil fired evaporator. Got the barrel for free from Scm on here (thanks!) The gun was one of several my old man had lying around so that was free, I just had to pay to insulate it. Runs a .75 gph 80* solid nozzle and boils at about 4gph.

The best part is that when I want to turn it on I plug it in, when I'm done I unplug it and it shuts off. No warm up or cool down. When I go bigger I think I'll stick with oil, it works well for me.

Twin Chimneys Syrup ...

Looking at your pics, am I right that your AUF duct is rigged to the barrel stove door venting? If so, what are you using for that transition? Sheet metal? Last year, I completely jerry-rigged flexible dryer duct, from a bouncy house fan to the door vent... it worked, but not the best.
    Last edited by jrm; 02-21-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

JRM

The transition is just foil tape doubled up so the sticky part isn’t exposed. I turn it off and move it when I add wood then put it back. My original plan was to drill a 4” hole below that door vent and put a short piece of duct in it but this was just easier and I didn’t have to alter the evaporator.
    2018 Same shed/sugar shack. Same barrel stove , with an upgraded 18”x 24”x 6” pan, a preheater and blower

2017 Home made barrel stove set up with 2 SS serving trays, in a 12x16 shed/ sugar shack, 14 buckets and 2 gals made. We’re Hooked!

MaplePittsburgh

Thank you it’s come a ways since last year. As far a venting, I take the ridge vent out and open the doors if it isn’t too windy. I havnt sprung for the fire brick yet so that stove put out plenty of heat to warm the “shack” even with the doors open. Only once did I have a rain storm inside from condensation off the metal roof, it was very cold that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Chimneys Syrup View Post
    JRM

The transition is just foil tape doubled up so the sticky part isn’t exposed. I turn it off and move it when I add wood then put it back. My original plan was to drill a 4” hole below that door vent and put a short piece of duct in it but this was just easier and I didn’t have to alter the evaporator.
    Thanks. I think it'll help if we get it figured out when we're not working with a hot evap.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast