+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My oil tank arch build

Default My oil tank arch build

I was immediately attracted to the oil tank arch designs pioneered by many. I love the repurposing of an object and was able to get a free tank from my neighbor.

My build began last summer, but I of course dropped the ball and had to crank it out over the last week.

I have a pretty complete shop and tasked myself to make the pan as well as the boiler. I press braked the long sides of the pan and welded the ends. My welds on the first end of the pan are pretty ugly, but after some excellent advice at the welding supply store, I saved my good name on the second end.

I test ran it today for the first time and am quite pleased. No time to waste, will be making syrup tomorrow.

maplesyruparch - 1.jpg
    maplesyruparch - 2.jpg

maplesyruparch - 4.jpg
    maplesyruparch - 5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crzypete; 02-20-2018 at 09:10 PM.

I got the order of the photos a bit screwed up. Sorry about that, Here is the rest of the build

maplesyruparch - 3.jpg
    maplesyruparch - 10.jpg
    maplesyruparch - 11.jpg
    maplesyruparch - 9.jpg

And one last little sequence, because this made me happy, I always wanted to layout a union of two different sized pipes. It took some serious studying of my 1950's sheet metal book to fully comprehend the process, but I was very pleased with the result. This is made from part of the oil tank and rolled on my slip roll.

maplesyruparchadapter - 1.jpg
    maplesyruparchadapter - 2.jpg
    maplesyruparchadapter - 3.jpg
    maplesyruparchadapter - 4.jpg

Very jealous. Great work.

I have seen here that people will put the fire grate in the opposite way to yours. They say the ash held in the bottom of the "V" will help prevent the grate from warping.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

That is one of the finer oil tank evaporators I have seen, nice work! I especially like the door design and the stove pipe collar. I agree with the last post, I tested my grates both ways and found them to be less likely to warp with the grates flipped the other way, especially with the extra heat the blower creates in the Firebox. Hope that thing boils good either way, talk about under the gun on a project. Do you have a pre-heater of any kind ?
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Thanks guys. I actually had read about using the grate with the V's pointing up and welded it such that I could use it either way. The reasoning I had read was that it held coals better with them pointing up, but my gaps are small enough that I figured it wouldn't be an issue, didn't read about helping to prevent warpage, I'll have to flip it next time I'm in there. Unfortunately, the fire bricks are sitting on the grate, not a perfect solution, I may have to trim the grate to alleviate that.

No preheater.....Yet. I have been observing the designs that are out there and will probably add that to my list for next year.

I'm also not sure about the blower being properly situated, it's far from the fire on the stack side. It definitely makes a difference, but is it as effective as it could be? I don't know.

I made 3 quarts of syrup today and blew through my entire supply of sap. I need to tap more trees tomorrow to feed this thing. 24 trees currently tapped.

Pete

quick question, what are the two holes under where the angle grinder is sitting in picture #11?

dave

they were threaded bungs from the original oil tank. That used to be the top that I had cut off. I welded them shut during my build.

Pete

Looks really good!
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast