+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My oil tank arch build

Hey crypete, check this rig out. It was made by Billschi up in northern MN. 6' pan, used excess steel from the tank to extend the arch. Although I will want the stack coming out of the top, I think I'll have to build another one this summer based off this design...

_20180412_184355.jpg

That's a cool variant. I think I'd be tempted to do some sort of dropped flue if I increased the size- partially for the sheer entertainment of bending and welding a crazy zigzag pan.

I'm really in need of a pre-heater for mine. And possibly more air added to the fire. I found that when I really had it going the smoke wood be blackish rather than clean. My friends and I were debating whether it was carbon burning off the bottom of the pan or fuel not being thoroughly combusted. I think I'm leaning towards incomplete combustion. Debating where I need to add more air.

My season was a huge success for me. 10 gallons of syrup made and it was extremely enjoyable using this rig. I literally used up every mason jar in the house and had to go out and buy a dozen for my last batch- that is kinda nuts as I thought we had a ton of mason jars. My peak evaporation rate was ballpark 12 GPH, I didn't really calculate these things too perfectly, just let the thing rip and enjoyed the moment.

I'm mostly cleaned up for next year. I boiled my taps today and have cleaned the inside of my pan with a vinegar and water mix. Also used the copper scraper trick to rid one little burnt stripe on the back of the pan. Just need to clean the bottom of the pan clean the ash from the bottom. Also I'd like to add some fork pockets so I can safely move this around with my Kubota.

Any preheater pics would be much appreciated. Also any thoughts on introducing more air to get a more complete burn

Pete

evaporator - 1.jpg
    Last edited by crzypete; 04-15-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    Although I will want the stack coming out of the top, I think I'll have to build another one this summer based off this design...

Attachment 18534
    I have it coming out where it is because it sits under a roof without walls, like an open air lean to. This way when it rains, it keeps the roof from dripping into the pan. I did make it big enough so it can actually go out the top if I actually make a designated sugar shack in the future.
    I fired it up Thursday and it worked very well, without the blower fan.
    A friend of mine just brought a steel tray for me today. This tray will enable me to place brick on top and the fire to pass underneath so I can evaporate birch sap without letting it boil and burning the syrup.
    Here's a pic of how I lined the arch with firebrick.
    IMG_20180421_194711170.jpg
    Last edited by billschi; 04-21-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

[QUOTE=crzypete;355373]

Any preheater pics would be much appreciated. Also any thoughts on introducing more air to get a more complete burn
    Pete

Pete, I don't think you need a blower fan.
    I cut three 2" holes under the door of mine that allows air in under the grate. After you do that, add 10 or more feet of stove pipe. You will be amazed in the difference and you won't need to listen to a noisy fan.
    The heating oil tank arch I built cost just about $400 and that was due to the door adhesive tape (for under the pan), firebrick and stove pipe.
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

I boiled my first batch yesterday and wanted to share some improvements and changes I made to my evaporator.

Firstly, I made a preheater pan. This was as much to dribble my sap in rather than dumping gallons in. Also, as an entertaining bending and welding exercise.

Next, I lined the rest of my evaporator with some ceramic blanket from mcmaster carr. I'm hoping this will push the heat a bit closer to the pan as well as protecting my tank.

I added a section of stove pipe to extend my stack a bit- as per advice in this thread.

Lastly, I added a sealer strip between the pan and the angle. I used wood stove door sealer and the glue they provided to glue it in place. I found a flat product that gives me some latitude in positioning.

The boiling photo is my first batch this year- kinda a warm-up run. I didn't use the blower or the preheater pan due to a lack of sap. Made only a quart, and I have tapped fewer trees this year due to a looming work deadline.

Pete

evaporator-2019 - 3.jpg

evaporator-2019 - 2.jpg

evaporator-2019 - 4.jpg

evaporator-2019 - 1.jpg

evaporator-2019 - 5.jpg
    2017- 17 taps, 3 gallons, stove-top insanity
    2018- 36 taps, 10 gallons, Oil tank evaporator
    2019- 24 taps, 7 gallons
    2020- 27 taps, 5.75 gallons
    2021- 42 taps, 8 gallons
    2022- 48 taps, 8.5 gallons
    2023- 50 taps, 15 gallons
    2024- 46 taps........ Maybe I should add a few more?

Oil Tank Evaporator build

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123