+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Ropey Syrup

Default Avoiding Ropey Syrup

As I am new to flue pan operation this year and we had a high of 66 today and continuing to be warm until midday tomorrow, do I need to do anything to avoid ropey syrup caused by bacteria that love this weather?

I boiled today and probably will boil tomorrow too. The feed float box is what has me concerned.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I had a friend that I RO ed some sap for and he let iut sit a few days before cooking and then let it sit in his pan in warm weather and it was like STP. it was beautiful stuff but was like crude oil coming out the draw off valve.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Before you shut down pull some boiling sweet off your backpan and pour it in the float box to kill anything. Boil a bit longer, then shut down.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Does ropey mean exceptionally thick? Amateur just trying to learn the lingo , thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Before you shut down pull some boiling sweet off your backpan and pour it in the float box to kill anything. Boil a bit longer, then shut down.
    Ropey sweet in the pans is about the worst thing that can happen. All of your hard work in the woods, collecting, and boiling is wasted. You are right to be on top of this early. This is way too warm for February. In the past, I've done maintenance boils on off days and still had ropey sweet develop.

I've now turned my attention to the float box as well. Today, near the end of the boil, I poured multiple scoops (of a sauce pot) into the float box. The box was still cool to the touch because the incoming sap - even at 50+ degrees - was keeping it cool. So, I flooded a little earlier and brought it all to a hard boil again. Then I scooped boiling sweet into the float box again and this time it was piping hot to the touch. That's the way I'm going to shut down from now on.

I'm going to boil again tomorrow, but after that, it looks like a multi-day layoff, here. I'm going to plug the inlet from the inside of the pan, drain the float box (and pour it into the back pan), wash it, and keep it disconnected until the next boil. I'll still bring the pans to a boil to kill anything that might try grow in the bottom of the flues.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

There are times when I believe you need to just treat the up coming weather like the end of the year and finish everything up clean the pans and start over.

I get down to about 3 gallons in feed tank, manually work the valve to empty it all into the flue pan. Shut the valve between float box and flue pan. Drain the float box (previous owner had a valve welded the the bottom of float box) and put that into flue pan. Throw a bunch of finely split pine in the firebox and bring everything to a good boil. Shut down.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I've been extra diligent about keeping rope out of my pan this season. I've been bringing the boil back after flooding and scooping the boiling sweet into the float box. The next day, when not boiling new sap, I've been draining the float box and doing a quick boil to kill any unfriendlies.

I was curious how effective the little boil was so, I used my long thermometer probe in different parts of the pan. Just as the front of the pan was starting to percolate, the other parts of the pan that were just steaming were already over 200 deg., but...

I took the temperature of the draw off box which is really just a matter of inches away from the boil at the front of the pan and it only read 65 deg.! Once the boil really got going, it only climbed to 95 deg. I used a spatula to splash some of the boiling sweet into the draw off box and I was able to get it to 210 deg. However the lesson is learned. The boxes and plumbing that hang off the sides of the pans are the danger zones!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

So what does "ropey" syrup look like? Ive got a few bottles that look like there are clear thing swirling around in them, is this it? Seems like i didnt effect taste or consistencey. Is this ok to sell? Unfortunately this is the first year for me with a 2x6 flue pan. Last year had a flat pan and never had a problem. Basically to get rid of ropey syrup is to wash entire rig. Then in order to keep it from forming in the future make sure all the sap you have in pans has boiled for 10-20 min so it is sterile. Even pouring boiling sap into float box. Just trying to figure this whole thing out lol. Trying to read as much to learn how to shut this thing down properly. Thanks!
    2016 — 10 taps on a turkey fryer
    2017 — 58 taps on a Leader Half Pint
    2018 — 250 taps?? Leader 2x6 WSE

12x20 Sugar Shack
    2005 Honda Rincon sap hauler

It generally starts life in sap that has spoiled. Too warm of conditions, bacteria growth in any part of the system. It can have a sour taste to the syrup in its mildest form. When pouring ropey or stringy syrup and you stop it tries to go back up. In midrange form it has a congealed mass thickness forming inside the finished cooled syrup. In its worst, the boiling sap can foam up and have the consistency and color of melted marshmallows. Totally uncontrollable foam with a fire under it. No, defoamer wont stop it. Need to shut down and get it out of the pans at this point! (Dont ask me how I know)
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 04-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast