+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless spout dripping onto bucket hook problem.

Default Stainless spout dripping onto bucket hook problem.

This fix may already be out there but, if you are using those stainless steel spouts and have noticed that the sap drips are hitting the bucket hook and then leaking out thru to the outside of the bucket try this fix. Put a piece of poly tubing 1/4" long that is 3/8" in diameter over the spout then slide on the hook, install it into the tree. This will get the spout end out further over that bucket hook and should take care of that problem. Works great for me once I installed these on my spouts.

Ren

SSspoutfix.jpgSSspoutfix2.jpg

Some of the first generation Sapmeister spouts were too short and had that problem. I came up with that same fix. Later versions are longer and have a nicer shape that works perfectly. I still have a handful of those older ones, and carry a few bits of poly tubing when I gather those first few days.

Thumbs down

I have the same problem even with slightly longer sapmeister taps, poly tubing works but can get knocked off into pail. I think there is a better version out but hate to spend more money to find out. I have not tried poly between tap and tree may be better.
    Last edited by Mad Max; 03-12-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Looked at pictures

ren46

great fix for the old style sapmeister taps. i was bending the hooks and getting mad last season. but used your tubing trick on about 25 taps and it has worked great. i picked up 50 of the new sapmeister taps and havent had the problem. seems like they solved it with a longer spout etc...
    thanks for the great idea. i was going to stop using them...
    good luck with the sugar

Problem with the old Sap-Meister spouts can also be solved with a short wire tie at the drip end of the spout. See others threads on this forum. A bother to set up at the beginning of the season, but it is a cheap fix and it is effective. New spouts are much better.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

I bought a big bag of stainless steel nuts (I want to say they were 3/8" but don't quote me) on Ebay. I wash them the same as everything else and store everything all together. The smallest wire tie works very well also. Also learned to put a tad more downward angle when drilling the holes too.

ss_spout_fix.jpg
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

+ Reply to Thread