+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any guys running 1,500 to 2,000 taps here

Default Any guys running 1,500 to 2,000 taps here

I'm looking to here from anyone who has around that 2,000 tap operation. Basically on the licencing aspect of it. I talked with a inspecter about a year ago and she said that if I were to get in the 3 to 4,000 tap operation I would need to get inspected and licences by the fda and I don't know if 2,000 taps is creeping into the whole inspection side of the line or not. I contacted a very helpfull lady from the university on the cottage food licence and she said since it deals with the farm(can't remember the term she used) I did not need one since I don't add anything to the syrup. I built a shed for cooking in last summer but dose not have a kitchen in it, I can make a temp. bottling room in it if need be. As for water, I'm planning on collecting water from the steam hood to use with rinsing any equipment that need washing. My plan though for the season is to stick everything in barrels once the syrup is filtered and store it like that in till I need to package it. Any tips, advise, and experience is appreciated.

It shouldn't matter on the amount of taps. Until you are processing sap into maple syrup, you have just sap.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

The change comes in when you sell the syrup. If you retail 50% or more, no problem, if you sell over 50% bulk you need the FDA in your pocket and your sugarhouse. While I'm under 1000 taps, that's why I retail about 90% of my syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That clearifies alot what you said Flat lander. Right now I sell most at farmers markets 2/3 to 3/4 and the rest I sell to organic stores.

Im at the 2000 tap mark. I sell everything retail. Ive talked with the head of the ag department to make sure i wasnt violating any laws/rules. He said as long as there isnt anything added to the syrup theres no lisense i need to buy. Good luck this comming season!!

I like the sounds of that maplenutter!! I drop off some syrup this morning at one of my spots and the last was talking to about starting up a Coop and wants my syrup to be sold there, any of you deal with a Coop with your syrup? Good luck to you too maplenutter and the rest of you guys!!

I'm not on any co-op but here good things about them. Go for it. I'm in quite a bit of stores. The more the better.

Quote Originally Posted by tonka View Post
    I'm looking to here from anyone who has around that 2,000 tap operation. Basically on the licencing aspect of it. I talked with a inspecter about a year ago and she said that if I were to get in the 3 to 4,000 tap operation I would need to get inspected and licences by the fda and I don't know if 2,000 taps is creeping into the whole inspection side of the line or not. I contacted a very helpfull lady from the university on the cottage food licence and she said since it deals with the farm(can't remember the term she used) I did not need one since I don't add anything to the syrup. I built a shed for cooking in last summer but dose not have a kitchen in it, I can make a temp. bottling room in it if need be. As for water, I'm planning on collecting water from the steam hood to use with rinsing any equipment that need washing. My plan though for the season is to stick everything in barrels once the syrup is filtered and store it like that in till I need to package it. Any tips, advise, and experience is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread