+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple-Blueberry Syrup

Default Maple-Blueberry Syrup

I have heard of some people making a blend of maple-blueberry syrup so I made a little test batch tonight. It turned out delicious! I started with 3 cups of unfinished syrup (@63brix), added 1 cup of frozen blueberries, added 1tsp lemon juice and brought to a slow boil and mashed for a few minutes until about 66brix. Then I strained out the seeds and skins with a strainer first then a fine mesh funnel filter. Tastes like blueberry pancakes with maple syrup minus the pancakes. As expected I guess. Tastes really good though and has a really dark blueish brownish color. The finished amount came to about 2.75 cups. Thought I would share... Cheers! IMG_20180219_201544.jpg
    Rick

7 taps in Suburban Pittsburgh
    6 sqft Homemade Evaporator from Heating Oil Tank

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9...PpyLCPlJ3GZxbA

Sounds great!

I'm planning to make maple candied walnuts and cashews later this week.
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

I've seen this in some stores too along with other flavors. The ones bottled in the store left the berries inside the syrup.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

Quote Originally Posted by lords sugaring View Post
    I've seen this in some stores too along with other flavors. The ones bottled in the store left the berries inside the syrup.
    Oh, that is interesting! Mine came out so dark, I don't know if you would even see the blueberries but it might be a nice surprise when they come plopping out. The one thing I am wondering is if it would make sense to add the blueberries earlier in the boil, like when I am at around 10 or 20% sugar. That way, when I remove the skins they aren't so saturated with sugar. I feel like I lost a few % of volume by pulling out the 66brix saturated skins...
    Rick

That sounds really good!

I've done similar with strawberries. Mash them up, add a bunch of syrup, cook it down until it's thicker. Put it on anything you can think of (ice cream is probably the best use). Definitely a contender for the yummiest thing on earth.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littleTapper View Post
    That sounds really good!

I've done similar with strawberries. Mash them up, add a bunch of syrup, cook it down until it's thicker. Put it on anything you can think of (ice cream is probably the best use). Definitely a contender for the yummiest thing on earth.
    That sounds awesome! Do you leave the strawberries in the syrup or strain/mash them out?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MaplePittsburgh View Post
    That sounds awesome! Do you leave the strawberries in the syrup or strain/mash them out?
    I leave them in. Cook it thick enough it can replace jelly/jam on toast too
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

+ Reply to Thread